View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:45 PM
There is a new law that makes it harder to keep animals in pet shops - everything has to be checked and double checked, sizing must be correct, food, water, even the placing of the housing.

I even take my animals back if they don't 'get on' with their new owners.

Someone mentioned people can give a false name and address - but this can happen with anything - buying something else - it's even just happened to a breeder I know.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
There is a new law that makes it harder to keep animals in pet shops - everything has to be checked and double checked, sizing must be correct, food, water, even the placing of the housing.

I even take my animals back if they don't 'get on' with their new owners.

Someone mentioned people can give a false name and address - but this can happen with anything - buying something else - it's even just happened to a breeder I know.
ah, that must be where the confusion originated.
the law about extra checks and measures as part of the Animal Welfare Act.

cheers hevvur.

genuine question for you...im impressed you are a 'pet shop' selling kittens in a 'rescue type way', instead of the traditional pet shop merchandise way. that should be banned!

but have you got any scheme re neutering?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't exactly sell them in a rescue type way - I am not a rescue (although I have taken a few mothers in with their litter, and re homed them - mothers and babies all got neutered).

I do advise neutering, I tell people the best age to get it done, the approx costs of keeping a cat inc neutering.

Most people do get them neutered anyway (I get regular updates on most of my sold animals), but I don't have a neutering contract.

I've thought about it - I've only been in my shop since May, and wasn't going to sell kittens, but after having some handed in etc, I took the decision to.

I don't make a profit on my animals though as some people thing.
The kittens are £40 - which just about covers feeding, cleaning, bedding, toys, worming, flea treatment, and vets bills if necessary.
Some people tell me that £40 is expensive, I tell them to go away lol

I would like to put in place a neutering contract, but not sure how feasible it would be, with me being a pet shop, and not a rescue.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 01:48 PM
That's awful to sell the kitten in such a poor state and they should be reported.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 08:56 PM
i know - were back on monday and i will see if they have any more
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Dunno but there is a kitten for sale in a local pet shop near work.
Poor thing was all by itself, a little tabby!
Can't you tell where i head at lunch......pet shop to see what i can buy.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't agree with any petshosp selling animals (sorry hevvur ) and I will not buy from a shop that does. If I see animals I walk out- and I know many other people who feel the same.

I hope to perhaps open a petshop of my own at some point - though it will be a pet supplies shop - as i will never sell pets.

xx
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
I don't agree with any petshosp selling animals (sorry hevvur ) and I will not buy from a shop that does. If I see animals I walk out- and I know many other people who feel the same.

I hope to perhaps open a petshop of my own at some point - though it will be a pet supplies shop - as i will never sell pets.

xx
I have to agree with this, where their is demand their will be supply and i dont beleive these kittens are ever very well bred, they should be sold by good breeders only, or get them from rescue.
If these were puppies, i wonder if our views would be the same?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 12:47 AM
you wouldn't believe how many people think it's awful for pups and kittens to be sold in petshops - but when you get to smaller animals - it's somehow ok
Tonight is a classic example. I had a couple come to my house, desperately worried because they'd been sold a pair of rats by a local petshop - and they were of opposite sex. So the doe is almost certainly pregnant (and looking at her - quite far gone) and she's only about 9 weeks old - that's a tremendous strain on the body.

A lot of these shops cannot even sex an animal - so what exactly qualifies them as '''experts''''? that truly awful government animal care course? because what they know about animal care could be written on a grain of rice.

xx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 09:47 AM
but sadly - people will buy off pet shops because even the rehoming centres charge 50+ quid for acat soemtimes and people prefer kittens (sadly)

and other breeders charge a lot of money for cat which you can pick up in a pet shop for 15 quid!

sad but true
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >