register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CBT
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I would be interested in a section on hunting, although you have to bear in mind that its now illegal in the UK so anything we discussed in the said section would have to be past tense/historical
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

04-03-2005, 01:41 PM
So long as their were rules and it did not result in name calling etc

Just because I'm against it dosen't mean it should not be allowed - we are supposed to believe in freedom of speech!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by CBT
I would be interested in a section on hunting, although you have to bear in mind that its now illegal in the UK so anything we discussed in the said section would have to be past tense/historical
All kinds of hunts is illegal in the UK now??
Sure?? Well of course you are, but I only thought some of the hunts were illegal now.

Like I know the fox hunts are illegal now. And thats a good thing.
And I´ve heard that deer hunt isnt allowed either anymore.
But I thought you were still able to hunt birds etc?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

04-03-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't think you are allowed to do any form of hunt using dogs - but if you're dogs 'accidently' killed an animal that would be ok!
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 01:50 PM
I am against hunting but can see what amts means and cant see the harm in discussing it on dw
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Emm
I don't think you are allowed to do any form of hunt using dogs - but if you're dogs 'accidently' killed an animal that would be ok!
Ok
Well I´m a bit schocked by that as we never want our dogs to kill anyting. Just bring it to us. Dead or alive that is.
Its for the hunter to kill. Not the dogs.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Im not 100% sure about England but in scotland you cant use dogs to chase and kill foxes hares and deer (deer were illegal with dogs before the ban on foxhunting) you can still kill rabbits/rats with the permission of the landowner.
However, everyone continues to hunt North of the border, its business as usual (allegedly ) and I would imagine the rest of the Uk will do likewise. this ban affects the mounted foxhunters mostly as they will find it much harder to disguise what they are doing, but there are many forms of hunting and not all involve red coats and horses and packs of hounds, so these other forms will probably continue on private land with the farmers permission for the purposes of sport and pest control (again, allegedly )
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Any debate on hunting would get very heated IMO and as the heated debates section is already being questioned it would seem a bad idea to heat it up any more than it already is. On a personal note I would not belong to a forum that encouraged hunting in any way it was the fact that everyone here is against cruelty that originally attracted me to dogweb.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Amts

Dogweb doesn't like any promotion of any sport which is considered as 'cruel to animals'. Although I understand your view that hunting for food is sometimes nesc, but in actuality most hunting with dogs in the western world is done for 'sport'.

So sorry but no.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I am against cruelty but I enjoyed (before the ban of course ) hunting with dogs (I have hunted on foot and on horseback)
Edited to say that IMO a dog catching an animal is not cruel and that I think other methods which are currently legal ARE cruel for instance gassing and snaring, many animals that are snared remain alive until the trapper checks his snares ( by law hes obliged to check them twice per day but in reality gamjekeepers and farmers often dont have the time to check more than once a day ) gassing is a slow painful death as is being poisoned, and being shot can result in non fatal serious injuries, not very kind is it?
Ive heard of trapped foxes gnawing off their own limbs to escape, do you think that is humane?
When you live in the countrside and have hands on experience of hunting, Its much easier to see things objectively as they really are than to let emotion cloud your judgement
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >