Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
the reason I have asked is, as metioned on another thread I have had oodddles of calls and emails re pups, I normaly give them advice on other litters I know of, or when kaos was used at stud I forward them to the owner of the bitch, with astas litter I think most of them went to homes via me, many people say oh but I want one of yours, when are you planning another litter, I dont think a year and a half is to long to wait, as said before others such as gail with sol have waited over two years for there pup, just intrested to know what others think is appropriate,

so if i take a waiting list on, given the amount of people who have called in the last few months, not all of whom would poss be prepared to wait, but if so I would have around 18 people by now, so if the calls keep coming I may have a fair amount by the time a litter hit the ground, would it be unfair knowing not all would have a pup, should I say your number what ever on the list?
I'm always honest with people and tell them roughly how far down the list they are. With the English Setters it can depend not only on the sex they want but the colour too, some people might want a blue bitch or definately don't want an orange dog. If people are so set in their ways as to which colour they want then I don't contact them if I only have pups of the wrong colour or sex and they know this up front. If they say they aren't bothered about colour then I tell them that they will be contacted before people that have set requirements. Obviously none of that will apply with the rotties.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 02:37 PM
So I guess I should word it carefully

, eg,

litter planned for late 2008/early 2009, please contact us if you would like to be added to the waiting list?
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2007, 04:32 PM
well I have had four people on my waiting list for past four years,and have been able to tell them this week that Mellow is in whelp,and is due in a fortnights time,will not be taking deposits though until I know they are born and a few weeks old,I also want to be able to take time and choose my own puppy before anyone else,
Wendy
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Shona I am on a list for a weimy in 2012 so I wouldn't worry about it!

If people want one of your dogs or particular lines then they will be willing to wait. Just tell anyone who enquires or has enquired, that you may be planning a litter in 2009 and if they are still interested they can go on a waiting list. Then ask what sex they are planning and you will have a list for dogs and a list for bitches. And deffo tell them where they are on the list. If they are partictularly low on the list and STILL want one of yours and they don't get one from this litter, then thet will be the first to move onto the next list for the next litter (if you ever plan on having anymore in the future that is, that's just usually how it works if you want a dog of particular breeding, sometimes you have to wait a while).

Have pm you btw. :smt002
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 07:36 PM
thanks guys that has helped alot, I guess I have been very lucky as I have not had to do this in the past, I had homes for pups before I even mated the bitch and it was all people I new, but this would be diffrent, the good thing about starting a waiting list now is it gives me time to get to know people well before I even have pups,
cheers again shona x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Shona, people on your list will drop out that is as certain as night follows day

Also people who go on your list must write to you (or e-mail) from a business point of view verbal agreements (phone calls) are just as legal as paper but virtually impossible to enforce and can cause so much heartache because people remember phone calls in different ways

If I thought for one minute that Bara would accept another dog in our 'pack' I would put my name down right now!!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2007, 12:25 AM
im not a breeder or anything, but id say do it now! im on 2 waiting lists for next year, for the same lady incase i move quicker than expected!! as i love her dogs and shes great!

if someone wants one they will wait!! id have one of your doggies if my boyf let me, there gorgeous!!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
thanks guys that has helped alot, I guess I have been very lucky as I have not had to do this in the past, I had homes for pups before I even mated the bitch and it was all people I new, but this would be diffrent, the good thing about starting a waiting list now is it gives me time to get to know people well before I even have pups,
cheers again shona x
Hi Mate,
you know what I think of Kaos!!!!!!!!!!just stunning also ask questions like
1/ have you ever own a rottie? and if not why do you want one
this is the main question I ask as we all know not everyone is suited to our own chosen breeds
2/ is the yard well fenced
and I also let people know that all pets will be desexed.
also have pm
cheers k
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by China View Post
Hi Mate,
you know what I think of Kaos!!!!!!!!!!just stunning also ask questions like
1/ have you ever own a rottie? and if not why do you want one
this is the main question I ask as we all know not everyone is suited to our own chosen breeds
2/ is the yard well fenced
and I also let people know that all pets will be desexed.
also have pm
cheers k
Hi Karen, thanks for that, I currently have a list of questions, its as long as your arm,
I recently had a chap who after 5 emails interigating him I eventuly gave him the details of the chap who used one of the dogs at stud, he sent an email saying I should be in his line of work,,,,,hes a police man, he said he didnt think he had ever been grilled quite so badly before, but he did say he felt confident that the pups were good, the after care was good and he had chose the right people to buy from, lol
it has all sorts on it,
how many people live in the house,
are there children if so how many, what age,
any old people, any disabled people,
how long would the dog be left if they had work commitments,
had they owned dogs before, if so what type, do they own dogs now if so could they be visited and checked,
why the want one,
are they married, single
how many holidays do they go each year,
so they ever have to work away from home
and on and on and on, some folk do get put off and dont answer but they are no big loss,
some folk dont mind one bit,
I would hate to hand a dog over to someone who would go on to do something silly with it, I dont really like homing to young couples either,,,they may go on to have kids and not want the dog, they may split up and so on, I prefer over 40 to be honest, they normaly are a bit more grounded that younger folk, my fav age is over 50 to be honest I have never had any problems with this age group.
shona x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Oh like being grilled by breeders it's my favourite part. (Is that weird?) :smt043
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »