View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
my max until a few months ago would run at dogs if i didnt see them first . i was always on the look out cos at that time his recall was 100% if we were alone but nil if he saw a dog shadow boxer gave me some training tips and we have nearly cured it now and i get him to drop or sit if we see a dog and he waits for me to go to him or i call him back. he is more reliable if i go to him if i get him on the move he will sometimes make another mad dash for it. my max is only 10 months old and doesnt have an aggressive or nasty bone in his body he is a big buffoon and just loves other dogs and wants to play if by some chance you appeared round a corner and i didnt see you before he did and he ran at you and you whacked him i would whack you lol
CBT
Dogsey Senior

02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
id whack you back lol

no seriously, I would only whack another dog if It attacked any of mine or tried to attack. At the end of the day, in all my years of dog ownership none of my dogs has ever attacked another dog, and I dont allow them to get into a position where they could either, so I expect the same curteosy from other people

(I did have an embarrassing incident once when I met a friend with a male golden retriever puppy out walking and we decided to take the dogs down the fields to play while we had a natter, and my 2 male dogs took great delight in taking turns humping the pup, the owner got quite annoyed with his pup actually cos his dog seemed to be enjoying it! )
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 09:05 PM
ah yes max would of loved it aswell and happily taken turns
CBT
Dogsey Senior

02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
dogs can be naughty little b****s cant they
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 09:07 PM
well max has just had his bits off so we are hoping that he may not be quite a s much of a tart as he has been
CBT
Dogsey Senior

02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
awwww poor max
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 09:22 PM
well, indie isnt always great with recall if she sees another dog, which proved a problem when she ran up to an aggressive dog onlead, however the owners gave us no warning wot so ever. If indie got attacked i wud see it as my fault, and if they were batting her away with a stick, fine! as long as they dont harm her! lol. Indie isnt aggressive to other dogs, so people dont have to worry about her, but i am aware that some dogs arent nice, but imo they shouldnt be offlead if they arent good with other dogs. If i see another dog offlead i do sometimes putindie back on if the dogs are going the other way or if the owners seem to be minding their own business, but if i see a dog onlead i will generally put indie back on jus incase.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 07:39 AM
What do you all think is appropriate to do to another persons dog if it approaches and yours is on lead for good reason.

I have had dogs approach Bruno (he is always on lead due to racism and protecting me) andI have screamed at the other owner to put their dog on lead. Then if the dog gets too close, I get in between Bruno and it and scream and shout at it, wave my arms around, and generally try to scare it off. I do this to avoid a fight, as I dont know for sure how Bruno or the other dog might react to eachother. Bruno is only very good with dogs smaller than him, otherwise they are often seen as a threat.

What does everyone else do
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 09:07 AM
i kind of just hold maxs lead tight and hope th eother dog is friendly. mmax it 100% friendly so i know he wont do anything but we did have a dog once come and atack max for no reason so i am wary but i have never hit or shouted at anyones dog
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
This probably isn't going to go down to well, but I have a real problem with owners who let their dogs charge up to other dogs on-lead. I don't care whether the other dog is friendly or not, to me it's basic bad manners. Satchmo's obsessed with people and dogs - to him, all people must love him and all dogs are there to be either played with or humped. He's a typical, confident, adolescent male. But I appreciate that not everyone welcomes a 48kg dog charging up to them, even if he does want to play, so Satch's kept on-lead if people or dogs are around, and is made to sit and wait while people go by. If and when he mentally matures enough to adopt the more aloof nature of his breed and focuses more on me than on the novelties around him, he'll stay on-lead around people.

Interestingly, we've never had problems with other big dog breeds, or bull breeds. We've had a lot of hassle from tiny terriers, charging up and yapping incessantly - their owners found this cute and amusing - , and medium-sized cross-breeds.

Becs
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >