View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 05:28 PM
It's not easy to describe signals, which is why I didn't bother above but a really useful one you might like to copy is a 'that's it now, finished' signal, which you can use after fun, after training or even to say the treats have run out. It seems a nicer way than 'bed' or 'lie down', which seem to have an air of 'go to your room'!

The signal I use is to start with my wrists crossed, palms facing upwards, elbows into sides and then uncross the hands bringing them down over your tum & thighs as if sweeping crumbs off your (standing up) lap. Make sense? You can deviise your own signal of course.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 06:23 PM
We all have our own signals, what ever comes to hand, so to speak. I use the same one for no more treats to thats the end of the game or I have had enough, that is I show my empty hands.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 07:56 PM
i think i might buy a whistle as i have a very quiet voice lol
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2005, 03:15 AM
I also use hand signals as I have a deaf dog. If you'd like some ideas other than what have already been explained here you can check out the American Signlanguage Dictionary or ASL for Dummies.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Although there are specific signals recommended in certain training books I think, like Thordell, we all soon find and use the ones which come most naturally to us. The impostant thing is to make each one distinctive in order not to confuse the dog.

Hand signals are very useful both for dogs born deaf and those which become deaf through age, accident, or illness.
staffypuppyplease
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2005, 11:02 AM
thanks to all of you for your ideas, havent been able to get to the pc for the last few days so sorry i havent replied to any of you
will be trying some of the things posted
thanks again
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2