View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Its easy to control yes. You have regular tests to show the thyroid level in the blood and you may need to alter the dose of tablets accordingly, but it really is easy to control. Sue L on here has a lot of experience with it, you could pm her and ask, she will help you with all you want to know.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 06:33 PM
will the tablets be for the rest of her life?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes in all probabilty. I think this is a "good" thing Nat, it will more than likely explain her behaviour, although its only a suggestion now, if it is, you should have the old Roxy back in no time.
Dawn.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Can anyone tell me how much the tablets are?

Were trying to work out whether our insurance will cover this, and I'm thinking it wont. In the policy it only says 12 months.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry I've just read Steve's of £33 for 250 tablets, and by the looks of it Roxy would need 240 per month, according to Sue's posts.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Sorry I've just read Steve's of £33 for 250 tablets, and by the looks of it Roxy would need 240 per month, according to Sue's posts.
not too bad then is it!! Im on thyroid tablets, have been for years! its very easy to keep aneye on and control!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Hi Everyone, really need some advice. About a week ago Roxy snapped at my nephew, by snap I mean warning growl. She didn't touch him. Anyway we thought it was a bit strange but just assumed when he leant across her he must have hurt her a little. Even though she is quite used to the kids laying on her etc. She was in a grumpy mood that day anyway. We had just had 2 puppies over.

So then a few days later she did it again, same situation, he leant over her and she growled at him. Again we excused it, but then at a BBQ yesterday a girl of about 7 who I did'nt really know was petting Roxy and Ty. And from what I could see wasn't doing anything that could have possible hurt her or annoyed her, but Roxy snapped at her

I firmly told her off and had to tie her and her brother up anyway as the kids were just about to eat. But I was seriously worried. Today I'm puppy sitting again, and Roxy has been a fowl mood all day, She has snapped at Ty 3 times already, which she would usually do only when he is REALLY annoying her, so it seems she has a really short fuse. I'm really not sure what to do, she has always been fantastic with kids. and now im a bit scared to let kids go near her.

She doens't have anything wrong with her that i'm aware of, she went to the vet on Tuesday for her Jabs and another check of her skin infection (which I know is bothering her, but she's fine with me and adults stroking her) although this vet had no cure, so theres no chance of it healing up anytime soon.

I'm just really worried for her, she's so depressed

Hi, it's late so I hope I can word this correctly
A thyroid check (hypothyroid for dogs usually, low thyroid) is an excellent suggestion and in some ways it would be good if this were the reason as it's easy to solve although it does mean tablets.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning but in some ways (this is just the impression I get from your post, it may be quite different in reality) but it appears that there are lots of kids, puppies etc around and it's also been very hot - could she simply be over stressed and have had enough?

I'd not let a child I wasn't very sure of pet my dog as I am too protective of my dog :smt001 although she plays supervised with children and so far seems to love them if we have her toys involved and get the kids to chuck 'em!

I'd say too that if a dog is uncomfy it's best if they do growl or show they are uneasy - the very last thing you want is a dog who doesn't growl but who will then take the next step instead.

Just as a precaution I'd suggest she always has easy access to her own space or get away zone until you have worked out what is wrong ...

Good luck,

Wys
x
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Awe I hope you quickly get Roxy sorted out. Here's some more information that I thought you may find useful.

In short, hypothyroidism is the natural deficiency of thyroid hormone. This deficiency is produced by immune-mediated destruction of the thyroid gland, by natural atrophy of the gland, by dietary iodine deficiency, or as a congenital problem. In the dog, the first two causes listed account for almost all cases.

Hypothyroidism generally develops in middle aged or elderly dogs. Breeds with definite predisposition to develop hypothyroidism include: the Doberman pinscher, the Golden retriever, the Irish Setter, the Great Dane, the Dachshund, and the Boxer.

One particularly well published survey of 162 confirmed hypothyroid dogs showed the following common findings:

* 88% had some kind of skin abnormality

* 40% had hair loss (often this starts on the tail leading to a “rat tail” appearance or a bald area around the collar is created)

* 22% had skin infection (often dogs are scaly and smelly due to an excessively oily coat)

* 14% had brittle or dry coats (often the outer hairs break off leaving a short, softer under coat, classically described as a “puppy-like coat”)

* 49% were obese

* 48% were described as lethargic or listless at home

* 36% were anemic (had a reduced number of red blood cells due to slowed red blood cell production in the bone marrow.)

One classical finding in hypothyroid dogs is a thickening of some tissues, especially of the face and head. The skin in particular thickens leading to more skin folds and what is classically referred to as a “tragic face.” This thickening is called “myxedema” and can occur in some other tissues as well.

So not sure if any of this relates to Roxy?

Conditions not proven (but previously suspected) to be associated with hypothyroidism: megaesophagus , laryngeal paralysis, infertility, and behavioral aggression.

Of course it may be none of this at Wys has already pointed out, it could just be that she had enough and wanted to be left alone.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck XX

V
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 06:41 AM
A friend of mine had a dobe with hypothyroid and it took 2 years to get her diagnosed, in her particular case she wasn't showing any physical symptoms except being very slightly under par, and a bit of an odd coat as in a bit flaky.

At the moment in the UK it seems it's not always that easy to diagnose or should I say to interpret the results of the tests.

Good luck

Wys
x
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I had Jess my new Dobie bitch thyroid checked as she was starting to growl and snarl at different people a few weeks ago and it turned out that she was Ok, but the vet did point out to me that because of her age (she is 18 months now) and that as the temperatures have been high she could just of been getting over heated and needed her own space.

She is now goes into the living on her own behind the couch and chills out and she’s fime.

You mentioned that you were allowing your nephew to lie all over her. Well I’m sorry but there is no way I would allow a non-family member to lay on a dobe. You see they can become really protective of people and toys as they get older and unless they are full supervised when around children can become very temperamental.

If my memory serves me correctly your two are still pretty young (under 12 months I believe) so they are now just coming into their own.

Personally I would stop non-family children from crawling all over her and let her have some space.

The reason I don’t think she has got a thyroid problem is because my vet told me that this only really becomes a problem in dobes after five years old, but has been found in young dog, but it is rare.

Colin
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >