View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 11:33 AM
here here, i agree wholeheartdly CBT, but the fact remains that its still un-natural. some bitches dont want to mate, they are too immature, or dont like their partner! (it has been proved that dogs can tell if a potential partner has a disease/cancer, and wont mate with him) so what do we do? we artificially inseminate! super!
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Surely the word farm speaks for itself. A farmer produces livestock to make a living a puppy farmer does the same. A pig farmer near us has names for all his pigs they are kept in immaculate conditions but are still sent off for slaughter as this is his living. It doesn,t matter how clean a persons premises are if they are breeding puppies continually for profit they are farmers. If a person was mass producing puppies continually and not bothering to take proper care of their animals, leaving them in cramped conditions and disregarding their health, their business wouldn,t last long as with any other farmer.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-02-2005, 12:33 PM
I dont agree with artificial insemination either, never used it and never would. I know what you mean about bitches preferring certain dogs though, I have an old collie who has a lovely soft nature and all of my bitches always want to mate with him I had a lot of problems with one particular staffie bitch, the last time I wanted to mate her.
She didnt want anything to do with the stud I had chosen for her, but would flirt quite happily with the old collie, inviting him to mount her at any available opportunity
Eventually I decided to use this to my advantage to get her to mate with the staffie dog, I used the old collie as a "teaser" letting him mount her briefly then commanding him to hop off again (hes very obedient and will jump off If told to ) and then we tried again with the staffie and we managed to fool her for long enough to let him mate and tie with her, so I know what you mean, some bitches are fussy about their chosen mate and will prefer to stand for a dog they have known and grown up with rather than a dog which is unfamiliar to them or not from "their pack". The old collie is a real favorite with all my bitches, but unfortunately he is not a staffie so he doesnt get to do the business
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 01:03 PM
ahh you have staffys....

well what i have heard is that perhaps the females know something we dont (relating to health). One breeder in america said that breeders shoudl only use dogs over the age of 5 to breed from, then we know what problems (if any it will have). the problems we have now is that everyone wants a pup from the one champion, and that dog is prob young so no problems have yet shown themselves. or we could have more than one champ, to stop bottlenecking the genes.

it sounds great in theory but 6 is told 'old' to breed a female from and who is going to wait until their handsome male is 6 until he can be used as stud... when in that six years alot of money could be made from him. thats why i just disagree with all breeding. there is too much to understand, and alot of idiots just jump in and think its easy (please dont take offence CBT, i mean nothing to anybody on here about it, you have your own reasons for breeding. i just see alot of lovely dogs needing homes, without the need for more to be bred and left without good homes)
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-02-2005, 01:08 PM
no Jess what youre saying makes a lot of sense
I know a chap who breeds working bull terriers and he will not breed from a bitch until she is around 5 or 6, he believes they need to have proven themselves in every way possible beofre they are allowed to breed. whilst I think 5-6 is a bit old for a first litter, I have seen his dogs and they are cracking examples of fit healthy bull terriers, so there is a lot of sense in this breeding plan, it ensures that only the best get bred to the best. he will not use a stud until it is similarly proven, and the fact he leaves breeding quite late means that his bitches only have one or two litters max in their lifetimes.
Not many breeders breed this way, but it certainly seems to work for him
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 03:46 PM
wow, i knew it was someones theory; i didnt know other people are actually doing it! that makes me happy to know there are some good people out there who actually put alot of thought into what they are doing. i am sure he probably gets good homes for his pups too, and doesnt just hand them to people that turn up at his door....

wish there was stricter rules, or even some exam you had to take before being allowed to breed ANY (!) animal, so you have good knowledge of genetics, inherited diseases, nutrition and animal welfare. this might weed out all the baddies.

(i'm never gonna be prime minister am i ?)
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-02-2005, 03:52 PM
he is actually one of the most genuine guys I ever met, he would rather give you a puppy for free if he knows you, than ask you for money, he never makes any profit off his dogs, he is really well off anyway, so breeding dogs is just something he does occaisionally and not his bread and butter so to speak
amanda-jane
Dogsey Junior

25-02-2005, 08:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with breeding from a bitch every season (not somthing i would do) but as it has been said it is somthing that would be done in the wild naturally. I agree that people sould have the choice to breed from there animals if they want to and not everyone is rich and as much as we would like to we cannot afford to give them away and its the only way an animal can pay its way if you like. I don't agree with people having loads of bitches kennelled up and only comming out to be bred no exercise or human effection as all puppy farmers do if you are unable to give an animal attention then you sould not have any animal just because a kennel is clean and dogs are fed it doesn't mean it isn't cruel!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by amanda-jane
There is nothing wrong with breeding from a bitch every season!
Do you REALLY believe that? Just because something is physically possible doesn't mean it is good for you/it.
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Abbys breeder imo is a puppy farmer she has had she had Abby then 6mths later another lot of pups and 7mths later she has registered yet another litter of pups so 3 litters in 13mths not the kind of life I would want for my dog.
Mary
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »