View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I must say as I work with the elderly that things haven't changed really when you look hard. There are a lot of very good kind youngsters, and there are an awful lot of grumpy rude oldies.

We just hear more about the bad things things that go on. I remind my oldies of this all the time. Take child abuse, and little Madeleine going missing. All I hear is 'You wouldn't get things like that going on when we were young'. Nope with child abuse a lot of it was swept under the carpet and hidden away so children didn't have anywhere to turn, and no, children weren't snatched abroad as they didn't get to go as much, and who needed strangers to snatch when you had neighbours like Ian Brady. Say no more.

Evereyone needs to embrace the good in the world, for it is out there, and take a look at your own attitudes before condemning others.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
I must say as I work with the elderly that things haven't changed really when you look hard. There are a lot of very good kind youngsters, and there are an awful lot of grumpy rude oldies.

We just hear more about the bad things things that go on. I remind my oldies of this all the time. Take child abuse, and little Madeleine going missing. All I hear is 'You wouldn't get things like that going on when we were young'. Nope with child abuse a lot of it was swept under the carpet and hidden away so children didn't have anywhere to turn, and no, children weren't snatched abroad as they didn't get to go as much, and who needed strangers to snatch when you had neighbours like Ian Brady. Say no more.

Evereyone needs to embrace the good in the world, for it is out there, and take a look at your own attitudes before condemning others.
So true Becky

Ian
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
I know it is not easy when you are overweight, I used to be 18.5 stone, (now 14st) I know that to lose weight is very very hard, but surely when these woman look at themselves in a mirror don't they see that they have a bit of a problem? and try to at least cover up, instead of squeezing themselves into clothes that are too small for them and think they look good?

I know that if I were a woman I defiantly wouldn't flaunt it.

Ian
That is your opinion Ian, and one I do find quite offensive.

There are an awful lot of lovely larger ladies out there (and on here so you're opening a can of worms here my dear) who would be extremely insulted by you telling them they had a problem, as many are very healthy and happy being who they are.

As a larger lady myself I have no problem 'flaunting it' as you say. I've lost weight 5 stone, not because I 'have a problem' but for a change, the same as I'd cut my hair a different style. My weight has varied by as much as 10stone, so I've been both ways and I must say when at my slimmest life wasn't as comfy without my built in cushions!

I also always get annoyed that weight is the one thing in life people think they have a right to comment about, to tell you why you shouldn't be what you are, or to call you names or be prejudice about you just because of your weight.... and yet it is the most personal of things, your body. If it were colour or disability then thats frowned upon, but weight? Thats open season to some.

You say you are 14stone? Well that is a healthy weight for someone who is well over 6ft (unless a bodybuilder), so as someone who has diabetes then some might be asking you why don't you see you have a problem?
Sorry if that offends but maybe you'll see what I mean.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I do appologise to anyone I have offended, I never intended to.

Yes I do have a problem, I am overweight by nearly two stone, however I am trying to lose it, but being on insulin does make it harder to lose it. I'm not using that as a excuse. By the way I am 5'10' ( I was anyway when I had my legs)

When I was in hospital I dropped to just over 13 st and was told by my surgeon -"you must gain weight before you can go home" so you just can't win.

Ian
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm in no way offended but I do find some of your comments to be quite critical of some women's appearance

are you what you would call perfect to look at yourself is the thing? Same goes for anyone who comments about other people. It's just not really nice.

Some people may not find balding men with big beards and glasses to pleasing on the eye for instance
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I do find your posts too critical and condescending of women at times too, i am not overweight but my neighbour is and she could out walk me anyday! what happened to its on the inside that counts!

Why should they cover up? its boiling outside if they chose to wear shorts and a strappy top who are we to argue i wouldnt say they was flaunting their bodies merely wearing what is comfortable attire for this sort of weather..
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2