View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
It makes you realise how times have changed when I was9 my mum & dad left my sister then 6 & me with our GSD on Cannock Chase for an hour while they went to visit a sick friend nearby, no one thought this was odd. From 8 onwards I regularly went with my dog & my friend with her dachshund off over the field & in the woods for hours at a time, All my friends did the same. Nowadays I'd be terrified to let children do this.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
i always see kids walking there dogs around here alone, but its normally about 10 kids and 3 little dogs!

i mean i know no area is 100% safe but its quite nice here with nice parks and things, but it depends what the parents say i guess...
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
When i was younger i used to take our GSP X out but not far just in my street and in the spare ground across the road but i could always be seen, he used to pull me about on my roller blades lol. As for walking alone in the park it is a bit dodgy.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd be more worried about a child not being able to control the dog they're with (I seriously doubt a young child could control all 5 stone of Max when he pulls), and not being able to control situations that may arise from other dogs being around/about and off lead.

If you can't physically control the dog you have on a lead, how are you going to manage a situation where an aggressive off lead dog attacks your dog?? Some of us grown ups wouldn't like to be in that situation, never mind a child!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I do tend to think children are wrapped in cotton wool a bit too much these days, but I suppose it is a sad symptom of today's society.
Totally agree.
It's not parent's being irresponsible. It's society that has gone mad. I used to walk my neighbours dogs when I was 8/9 years old. I appreciate society has changed.
Most adults wouldn't be able to handle it if another dog started attacking them or the dog, let alone a child.
It's an interesting post when you look back at all the past posts of members here that have moaned about out of control dogs out on their walks. Who were the dogs being walked by adults. No mention of kids having out of control.
I do understand that children shouldn't walk strong dogs but then I've seen enough adults struggling with their rottis, great danes etc, so in that case both adult and child are out of control.
Being realistic if we avoided doing things because of the worst possible scenario, we might as well never leave our doors. In years that I've walked my dog, not once have I been approached by an aggressive dog. The only dogs that I've had problems with and in fact been bitten by is the idiot that has dogs in the neighbouring house which I've commented on here previously about.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I was out with mine one time and a wee lass of about 10 came over with a small-medium sized mongrel, offlead (she didn't even have a lead with her ). With Maddy being as she is I asked her to call her dog and stay away yet she proceeded telling me, "It's ok she likes other dogs". Sure enough Maddy (onlead) barked at the dog as expected and to be honest I was glad she did, might have taught the lass a lesson.

Anyway the girl started screaming hysetrically and calling her dog back. The dog proceeded to try and challenge Maddy and also started growing and barking. In the end I ended up having to tie Maddy to the fencing, put Charlie's lead on the other dog and take said dog over to screaming child (who had ran about 20ft away from us AND her OWN dog! ) Then told her hold the scruff of it's neck (didn't have a collar) 'til we're out of sight.

She then proceeded to give me a mouthful of how I shouldn't walk my dog if it didn't like other dogs.

And then I had to go back and untie Maddy who was now going mental at being tied up and left, and cut our walk short and go home so the girl could take her bloomin' dog off the field!

Needless to say i'm not a fan of kids walking dogs on their own. 14+ at the least.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 05:01 PM
That's awful Kel... (especially awful that the dog was able to grow when aggressive! )

It's interesting to see such a mix of opinions, Megan, I'm also surprised (and a bit jealous) that you've never been approached by an aggressive dog!

As I said, this girl was being pulled by the westie so if a larger dog had approached (like the two labrador sized strays that have approached us before) I'd be surprised if she had managed to cope.

She followed us around the park so there certainly wasn't anyone with her unless, as I said they were in the playground but that's at one end of the park where very little can be done if she encounters a problem at this end.

I would think that the reason more people struggle with adults with dogs is because it's usually only adults you see out.
I've seen plenty of young teenagers out walking their dogs and they have been little scrotes with them but never a child this young and quite honestly, I'd have been very concerned.
The park is in the city, the paths go along the top of hillsides and are covered by bushes and as I said I've been approached by two unattended dogs let alone the numerous snappy/noisy dogs that have come running up to us with their owners further behind.

I suppose it differs in different areas but I know that I wouldn't want to send any child of mine (although I don't have one) out alone with a dog at that age.

I was allowed out with friends at that age but if I wanted to go anywhere on my own I had to go with my sister or friends.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I use to walk my Auntie's dog when i was 10, which is 19 years ago, nobody thought twice but I dont think i would let my 8-9 year old out with a dog now as there are so many people out there that havent got a cule when walking there dogs but also there are so many weirdo's out there now, and dog napping.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I have had dogs for years my daughter grew up with dogs and i have never let her walk my dogs alone i just did,nt think it was right.Not at that age anyway.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
i see what you mean but when i was bearly 9 - i was out walking a fully grown border collie, unsupervised, round streets, fields etc

its other people who are the problem, take some adults etc - they are the ones who need supervising - some kids are far more responsible and caring than some prats that call themselves adults.

it depends how you are brough up i think - i was always brought up with dogs - so i had to walk her 3 times a day unsupervised.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >