Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reasurance
last night I was in a panic at first ,I guess the wimper was because it wasnt very nice a big thing like that going down in one ,thankfully she is totally fine ,I was just so worried it would get stuck
next time I give her anything like that I will chop it up first
It was like us trying to gulp down a jumbo sausage in one
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 07:26 PM
I think like shadow boxer said if you hold onto the end so she can't gulp it down then she will learn to chew.

I have always given Keena raw neck etc and she just chews on the end with it hanging out her mouth bit by bit until it is all gone. Well she did until we go Takoda and now it is all about competition and so to make sure they don't swollaw them whole I make sure I give them when they are seperate from one another.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 12:52 PM
bev, you are just starting out so there is a few things you should know. the dogs body is new to this, so isnt working at optimum capacity. take it easy, and start with something small. like chicken wings for example. over the course of about two weeks, her stomach will be getting used to breaking down the bones. you should start to notice in her poo, that there are no 'bits of bones' and conforms throughout (no sharp bits). then you can start feeding bigger things, like ribs, necks, carcasses etc.

i really recommend that you dont rush into this, you can have serious problems (i was terrified when i read that you had just given kira the neck straight away) you need to read some books to familarise yourself with the dogs digestive system, what it can and cant cope with, and how to properly feed raw (there are lots of ways, and i have dithered from the book, but i feel empowered, as i understand their needs) please call me if you have any questions...i am here to help! (surprised at benji...all the other egyptians love raw meat....can i suggest you dip a wing in boiling water, and then pat it dry and offer it to him)
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Jess I wasnt changing her food completely ,its just I had a freerange turkey and I usually just boil up the giblets for the crows but I thought about giving the neck to the dogs instead for a treat ,I offered it to Benji but all he done was lick it then just left it ,I have found him to be quite fussy with food at times ,so I was going to give it to Kira for her supper and I thought she would chew on it at least first not just gulp it down in one

I have read a bit about Barf and it seems a good way to feed dogs ,but at the moment I dont have the time etc. to put into it
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:12 PM
i think its fantastic, and that is why i endorse it at every opportunity!!

it does take alot of work at the beginning...but once you have the knowledge and confidence, it becomes alot less work... what do you feed them as their 'normal' meal everyday?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2