View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Hiya Nicola , use your clicker ! Get a toy and some treats. Play with her in the house. Throw or roll the toy across the floor and encourage her to bring it back. As soon as she looks at you , click and treat. If she takes a step towards you , click and treat. As soon as she moves towards you with her toy , click and treat . Then if she takes a few more steps towards you , click and treat. Continue until she comes back to you with the toy , click and give her a jackpot. If you keep this going until you can throw the toy and she brings it back , excellent. Finish the game though before she gets bored and do the same again later. Good luck and have fun.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
Hiya Nicola , use your clicker ! Get a toy and some treats. Play with her in the house. Throw or roll the toy across the floor and encourage her to bring it back. As soon as she looks at you , click and treat. If she takes a step towards you , click and treat. As soon as she moves towards you with her toy , click and treat . Then if she takes a few more steps towards you , click and treat. Continue until she comes back to you with the toy , click and give her a jackpot. If you keep this going until you can throw the toy and she brings it back , excellent. Finish the game though before she gets bored and do the same again later. Good luck and have fun.
Hmmm, that's not as easy as you think with Molly, Suzanne! Molly will either lie on the sofa and stare at me as if i'm completely crazy, or harass me for the food!

Molly sees her toys as 'prey'. She likes to attempt to shake their brains out! On occasions though, when the notion takes her, she'll run about with a soft squeeky toy, and bring it back to me for me to thow, which I do. She soon gets fed up with that though. She'd rather playfight with Roxy and chuck her off the bed!

However, i'll definately give it a go and report back.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Great stuff ! Just remember , nothing is impossible . Missy's latest trick is wagging her tail on command ! I say " Wag" and her little Staffie tail whips wildly and she makes little growly noises at the same time , just for a click and reward .
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Missysmum;1063048]Great stuff ! Just remember , nothing is impossible . Missy's latest trick is wagging her tail on command ! I say " Wag" and her little Staffie tail whips wildly and she makes little growly noises at the same time , just for a click and reward .[/QUOTE]

That sounds great, Suzanne. She sounds like good fun.

And you're right, nothing is impossible when it comes to teaching my Westie tricks. Do I sound convincing?
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2007, 10:03 AM
[quote=Westie_N;1063058]
Great stuff ! Just remember , nothing is impossible . Missy's latest trick is wagging her tail on command ! I say " Wag" and her little Staffie tail whips wildly and she makes little growly noises at the same time , just for a click and reward .[/QUOTE]

That sounds great, Suzanne. She sounds like good fun. She's fun alright , from dawn to dusk. A nuisance sometimes though when she won't stop doing ALL of her tricks, including bringing loads of things to " swap" for my dinner .

And you're right, nothing is impossible when it comes to teaching my Westie tricks.
Do I sound convincing?
Hmmmmm ? Worth a try though . You'll be fine , I know you will .
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
This thread is so depressing makes me feel a complete failure, I've not taught my lot anything like that lol!
Becky
Me to Becky

[/B]
First of all , does harvey play fetch at all ? If he does , it makes it easier to teach him to bring you specific things. I had to teach Missy to fetch as being a terrier , she used to just run off with her toy and shake it . I would take her out , and have 2 toys in my pocket. Throw the first toy and once she had it , show her the second one. This made her run over to me and drop the first toy. I would then throw the second toy and pick up the first one. I just kept repeating this until I could get her to drop a toy into my hand instead of on the ground. If she dropped it on the ground , I would ask her to pick it up then I would put my hand under her mouth and say " give it to me". As soon as she released it into my hand , I would throw the other toy or give her a treat and lots of praise. I followed the same routine in the house and using the same method , got her to just stand in front of me and swap one toy for another. I then moved on to just using one toy. I would put it on the floor and ask her to pick it up, then say " give it to me ". As soon as she did , she got a treat. We play "swap" regularly now where she will swap a toy for another toy or a treat. The important cue to teach is " pick it up". Once Missy learned this , I could put any object on the floor ,point to it and say the magic words " pick it up" and she would. By this point , she would automatically put the object in my hand. I use that cue for every new item I want her to pick up and give to me. It works every time. Things she has picked up for me using the above training are , her toys , my purse , TV remote , keys , mail , plastic juice bottles , my shoes , and anything else I ask her to pick up. In advance to this , she has learned to pick things up when I say " I need " , " I've dropped " ," I've lost " and " I'm hurt" (for the first aid kit). It has taken a few months for her to learn all of this , and sometimes she uses it as a form of attention seeking where she will go daft picking all sorts of things and bringing them to me . She is my first dog and the only one I have trained , bearing in mind she is a terrier not a retriever , I think she has done very well. She does have a very outgoing personality , and is extremely playful ,(and cheeky ) which help a lot when training . Just make it a game and make the reward valuable . Be patient and teach one thing at a time until your dog understands it well. Good luck and have fun !
Been trying this for what seems like an age - Tried with 2 toys, he runs after it picks it up - I show him the 2nd toy he drops the 1st toy and comes to me for the other
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 12:32 PM
[/B]
First of all , does harvey play fetch at all ? If he does , it makes it easier to teach him to bring you specific things. I had to teach Missy to fetch as being a terrier , she used to just run off with her toy and shake it . I would take her out , and have 2 toys in my pocket. Throw the first toy and once she had it , show her the second one. This made her run over to me and drop the first toy. I would then throw the second toy and pick up the first one. I just kept repeating this until I could get her to drop a toy into my hand instead of on the ground. If she dropped it on the ground , I would ask her to pick it up then I would put my hand under her mouth and say " give it to me". As soon as she released it into my hand , I would throw the other toy or give her a treat and lots of praise. I followed the same routine in the house and using the same method , got her to just stand in front of me and swap one toy for another. I then moved on to just using one toy. I would put it on the floor and ask her to pick it up, then say " give it to me ". As soon as she did , she got a treat. We play "swap" regularly now where she will swap a toy for another toy or a treat. The important cue to teach is " pick it up". Once Missy learned this , I could put any object on the floor ,point to it and say the magic words " pick it up" and she would. By this point , she would automatically put the object in my hand. I use that cue for every new item I want her to pick up and give to me. It works every time. Things she has picked up for me using the above training are , her toys , my purse , TV remote , keys , mail , plastic juice bottles , my shoes , and anything else I ask her to pick up. In advance to this , she has learned to pick things up when I say " I need " , " I've dropped " ," I've lost " and " I'm hurt" (for the first aid kit). It has taken a few months for her to learn all of this , and sometimes she uses it as a form of attention seeking where she will go daft picking all sorts of things and bringing them to me . She is my first dog and the only one I have trained , bearing in mind she is a terrier not a retriever , I think she has done very well. She does have a very outgoing personality , and is extremely playful ,(and cheeky ) which help a lot when training . Just make it a game and make the reward valuable . Be patient and teach one thing at a time until your dog understands it well. Good luck and have fun !
Thank you so much for the tips and advice, i just needed a wee idea on how to start this method im gonna be practising all week lol, so thanks!!! Missy sounds like a very clever dog i can't believe the things she can do, you must be so proud!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Apart from the usual stuff you teach a dog to do, we are teaching Jack to touch and dance but still in the early stages of those things but something that looks cute but of no use whatsoever is when Jack sits at my side he will hold my hand, everybody says aarrgghh, when we do it
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Thank you so much for the tips and advice, i just needed a wee idea on how to start this method im gonna be practising all week lol, so thanks!!! Missy sounds like a very clever dog i can't believe the things she can do, you must be so proud!
Awwww , thankyou . Yes , I'm very very proud of her. I've read in quite a few books that Staffies can be hard to train as they can be stubborn , or get bored easily. Like I said before , she is my first dog , (my family had a Gordon Setter when I was at school), and the first dog I have ever trained. She will do anything for praise , and even just a smile is rewarding to her. She's not been easy though as she always used to demand attention . I have just learned to shape that into wanted behaviour in return for reward. She still wants attention a lot of the time but now I've taught her that she has to work for it. That's why I started teaching her tricks , which progressed into everything she can do now. She picked up clicker training very quickly so I use that to help teach her new things. It took me a while to learn how her mind works. I know now that she is very in tune with body language , and watches me a lot to get cues. I just have to work with her in a way that I don't give her the wrong signals as she then gets confused , frustrated and as a result , more boisterous and cheeky. That's her way of telling me " I don't understand what you mean Mum ".
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Oh please tell me how to teach mine to sut doors. Shady is very good at opening them but I would love her to shut them too.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >