View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
It really depends on what it is that Max has done, and whether or not it was my fault (which I think most things are in some way or another)

Chewing/Destructive Behaviour:
If I catch Max chewing something which I have left lying around, I just remove the object and nothing more is done about it. It is my fault for leaving it in his reach, so although he shouldn't be chewing it, he doesn't understand that it is off limits. I normally replace what he has been chewing with a toy of his own. Sometimes I do have to count to 10 though

If however I catch him chewing something such as the kitchen units, I tell him "no" in a firm voice and replace with something of his own to chew, then praise him for chewing his own things.

I never punish if I don't actually catch him doing the chewing, because although he knows mummy is not happy, he doesn't understand why and so being angry with him is a pointless exercise which would just upset both me and him.

Barking:
If Max barks at someone walking past the window or a knock on the door etc, I don't mind too much, although if he continues to bark I again tell him "no" and if he still continues to bark, I simply put him in a seperate room for a few minutes for a 'time out'.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
I shout they Ignore.......we all Happy
made me smile
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:48 PM
My Jack Russel (who was stubborn and independant as most JRs are) it would start with No. Then NO! Then DON'T YOU DARE! And then him in the bathroom for ten minutes for a timeout.

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Rather than discipline which can be far more destructive to the dog / human relationship than a few teeth marks on a remote, I like to distract then redirect.
That way, what I redirect them to, be it a behaviour/trained element, or something to play with, I aim to offer them something more rewarding to do / play with than whatever I would prefer them not to be doing, [ I`m not going to say `what they are doing wrong`, dogs dont do wrong, they just do `dog` ]

Its down to me to either not leave things around, or to take a little time to positively guide them toward a toy being more rewarding than `off-limits` items so that I can leave things round knowing they wont be touched and for me its not about how much things cost to replace but the health risk to a dog swallowing something they have chewed on.

Of all my crew so far, since the advent of remotes, [ a common target for doglets ], the only marks one of mine ever suffered was from my Cockatiel many years go who decided she wanted to peck at a couple of buttons on one because they fascinated her

What it comes down to is that dogs are not born ready programmed to know they should`nt chew this or that, nor toilet trained, nor how much things cost, nor every thing else we want our dogs to comply with which are often contrary to natural canine behviours
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I see what you're saying Patch but you walk into the kitchen to find your dog with his head in the fridge........

duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
If I'm there, a sharp "ah-ah-ah" is usually enough to put her off whatever naughty thing she's up to. If she's chewing something I've left lying around I'll just take it off her. If she's just getting herself a bit overexited (bouncing off the walls ), or trying to get us to play while we're having dinner and the like, we totally blank her.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by mirandashell2 View Post
I see what you're saying Patch but you walk into the kitchen to find your dog with his head in the fridge........

Heh, this has happened to me
I had`nt shut it properly so, from the dogs pov [ my Willow was the one whose bum greeted me lol ], it was a food source which was `made available`.
I grabbed one of his high value treats knowing it would get his attention straightaway, [ distraction ], brought him away from the fridge, asked him to do some reliable obedience elements, [ redirection ], and gave the treat, [ rewarding in food and in interaction which he loves more than anything else ].
While he was eating his treat, I calmly went to the fridge, closed it, and taped it shut as a reminder to myself to double check that I always closed it properly from then on

The purpose of redirecting, [ in this instance with Obedience elements ], was so that he was rewarded for doing those, [ in his mind ], and not being innadvertantly rewarded for investigating the fridge

As can hopefully be seen it meant no stress being involved, certainly no annoyance toward him for doing what dogs do, just simple, positive guidence
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Jenny is infamous for stealing dirty paper napkins and chewing them to shreds. Because they have bits of food in them... It's still our fault for leaving them laying around, but as I pick them up she's always got her head down and her tail between her legs and that "sorry" look... I tell her she's been a bad girl, but that's about it. I agree though, most of the time it is my fault.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I use the rolled newspaper method , every time one of my dogs do something wrong I take the rolled up newspaper in my right hand & hit myself on the head several times :smt002 as it must me my fault
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I use the rolled newspaper method , every time one of my dogs do something wrong I take the rolled up newspaper in my right hand & hit myself on the head several times :smt002 as it must me my fault
that made me laugh
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >