Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
to me that is racism,of the highest degree,of that the nhs is saying if your black,or mixed race your more likely to get tb,i would look into it a bit further first then contact the papers xx
no
what they are saying is the programme continues for those in high risk groups for those with family history that may not have been vaccinated in past years
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2007, 06:55 PM
In the UK, BCG vaccination (with live but weakened tubercle bacteria) is no longer routinely given to all children of secondary school age. The highest rates of the disease occur in particular risk groups and it now makes more sense to target BCG vaccination for people who are at greatest risk of the disease. The vaccine is now recommended for:

• infants under one year of age living in areas where the incidence of TB is 40 cases per 100,000 people or higher
  • infants under one year of age whose parents or grandparents were born in a country with an incidence of TB of 40 cases per 100,000 people or higher
  • children with risk factors for TB who have not previously been vaccinated
  • new immigrants from countries with a high incidence of TB who have not already been vaccinated
  • contacts of people diagnosed with TB affecting the lungs
  • health care workers, veterinary staff, staff working in prisons, residential homes, shelters for the homeless or hostels for refugees
  • people intending to live, travel or work in countries with a high incidence of TB for more than a month.
Vaccination greatly reduces the likelihood of subsequent pulmonary TB and effectively prevents varieties of blood-borne tuberculosis such as miliary TB or tuberculosis meningitis, which can be difficult to diagnose in time and can cause devastating damage.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 07:00 PM
My girls will be chuffed to bits that they don't have to have the vaccine. They saw what thier older sister and brother went through when they had thiers
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Actually it is not that new, in 2005 the Dept of Health issued a new policy

I was off school ill when everyone else had the BCG jab & I wasn't allowed to have one until I went to Biafra in the summer of 1969 as a volunteer & I was so ill afterwards. I also had to have yellow fever, cholera, TAB(Thyhoid),Diptheria & the dreaded Rabies Agh that was multiple injections into my stomach !
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2