View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
and we are not? i appreciate that if it was not for sspca there would be a lot of dogs pts but surely breed rescues understand their own breeds more maybe I am just having a bad day
CBT
Dogsey Senior

09-02-2005, 01:12 PM
i never said you dont do a good job either, just that no one is perfect and despite their faults the SSPCA rehome huge numbers of dogs which has to be a good thing!

Lel, the SSPCA do put dogs down but only when they are ill or they have serious aggression problems, that what I was told by the staff. If a dog passes the vet check and assessment in can be rehomed. I think they have quite a high success rate.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:13 PM
I dont agree with all the slagging of breeders and rescues which has been going on lately, especially when people get named, I think its better to take it up with them personally.
There are a lot of politics involved in rescue too which is a shame as after all the dogs should be first and foremost
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey Lel there are a lot of things I would change about the SSPCA. For a start the way they deal with wildlife cases, again another long story. They have some practices that will fall short of what I see as good and they will inevitably do things I dont agree with, especially the way they have dealt with many bull breeds and their owners. But my main reason for posting was to sit and say its all to easy to slag them off because of one thing they do we are not pleased with when if you look at the scale of the work they do the difference they make is monumental. Without them I do believe many animals and their owners (who for what reason have to give up theirs) would suffer unnecessarily. On the grand scale of things they do a damn good job and I agree with CBT if peopl want to slag of breeders or rescues etc just sit back and really think about what is being said before you go ahead and do so.

We got Kip from a rescue centre (SSPCA) at the age of 10 weeks, the after care service they provided was un-faultable. Free vet treatment for a few months and check ups along with free food initially etc. I regularly go to the kennels to help out the staff there do the best they possibly can with the best they can.

Yes you are Scottish Boxer and your entitled to your opinion as are we.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

09-02-2005, 01:21 PM
i think if you go down there and phone regularly the staff will get to know you and you will be accepted better, if they have never met anyone from scottish boxer welfare then they are quite within their rights to refuse to pass boxers on to you because they dont know you from adam, but if you get yourselves known to them as a reputable rescue they can trust I see no reason why they wouldnt contact you if they get any boxers in
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:26 PM
But my main reason for posting was to sit and say its all to easy to slag them off because of one thing they do we are not pleased with
I agree- its all too easy to slag them off- which people shouldnt do if they dont get off their own backsides and help out with rescue also. Every little helps

But I do think its easier for a large national organisation to help out compared to the little ones. Most people are aware of these big rescue organisations and will donate to them regularly.
Its the little ones I feel sorry for- that live hand to mouth yet still carry on - even though a lot of people are unaware of them

Now this isnt directed at anyone but its something I feel strongly about and so have to say it-
Its VERY easy to sit at a PC and say "awww poor dog hope it gets homed soon" but it has no effect whatsoever on the homeless. We all need to get out there and do our bit no matter how little
that can include homechecks, transport, dog walking, cleaning kennels/catteries/hutches, donating financially, donating the odd tin of dog food, offering old collars, toys, treats etc
Everything helps but sitting at the PC doing nothing doesnt!!!

There!
If Ive inspired one person to get off their butt today I'll be glad

(plus trying to get people to see sense and offer both advice and support and to not give up on their animals is also important)
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
you might be right cbt I will phone from now on on a regular basis as for not being known to the sspca. in aberdeenshire I have been known to them for several years I can only assume it,s that now boxer welfare scotland covers all scotland that this is the problem my name has been in ho for several years but of course not at the centres down glasgow/edinburgh area
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
There are a lot of politics involved in rescue too which is a shame as after all the dogs should be first and foremost
Your right there Lel its a sad fact but for the most part I have found the people that really matter i.e. those out there mucking out & caring for the dogs usually do have the dogs best interest at heart and do a damn good job.

I think we all have to accept that from rescue to rescue politics and principals will differ but the most important factor is that they are all working with one common goal in mind. None are setting out to cause upset to the other or to do a dis-service to the animals that pass through so we should bear that in mind/

I agree with your principal that its unfair breed rescues should only be taking on problem dogs that does seem a bit unjust and I can sympathyse with your frustration. I also agree with CBT trying to build relationships with local centres can, i imagine, be invaluable and seems worthwhile, afterall it cant do any harm maybe you can all learn from one and other.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

09-02-2005, 01:29 PM
well said lel :smt023 :smt023
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Yep I agree well said Lel, I think the bigger and smaller rescues could do a lot by learning from each other.

Now this isnt directed at anyone but its something I feel strongly about and so have to say it-
Its VERY easy to sit at a PC and say "awww poor dog hope it gets homed soon" but it has no effect whatsoever on the homeless. We all need to get out there and do our bit no matter how little
that can include homechecks, transport, dog walking, cleaning kennels/catteries/hutches, donating financially, donating the odd tin of dog food, offering old collars, toys, treats etc
Everything helps but sitting at the PC doing nothing doesnt!!!
100% agree with that, it's easy to sit and think you could do something and make a difference but its completley different to actually go out there and make a difference!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >