Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
i heard that tomato sauce stops the urine from making the grass go yellow. Ive tried sardines in tomato sauce with minnie and it seems to have worked
Hiya I would like to add that my Cocker always burnt the grass until i started to add a tea-spoon of tomato sauce to her food. It works by weakening the build up of acid. I now have a nice green lawn ( with holes in it lol)
dallyden
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks to you all. I only laid the lawn 12 months ago, and as it covers quite a large area I'm not keen to pave or gravel - although I'm sure this would make my life much easier - no more lawn mower!!!! I have heard about tomatoes before but haven't tried this. My other dogs - also bitches - tended to use the same corner of the garden, which I covered in bark chippings, but these 2 never seem to use the same patch twice, and to make matters worse - eat bark chippings if given the chance!!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by leospride View Post
same here Lizzie.
Snap.....ive got paving slabs everywhere
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I`ve seen mineral stones you place in their water bowl which is supposed to work, but never tried them.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I`ve seen mineral stones you place in their water bowl which is supposed to work, but never tried them.
I've got those dog rocks.

I've just started using them, as we have just reseeded again. It takes about 5 weeks to see any difference but I'll let you know.

We too are saving up to have the garden landscaped courtyard style! However if the dog rocks work we'll keep the grass as they don't do any other damage.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by gaznweebeasties View Post
i put a thread on here a while back asking if anybody had used artificial lawn as i was thinking about getting some.

well i heard recently about a dog that burnt its feet because the artificial lawn got so hot in the sun

i think im gonna give that a miss now and ill probably end up paving it
There's stuff that's designed for dog runs (and apparently they use it at crufts) so I'm sure that can't be the case anymore.

Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
But then you'll have to hoover the lawn as well as the carpets - and you will have smelly puddles all over it
It is actually on a mesh so the the rain and the wee soak right through it! And supposedly a little more environmentally friendly than paving as it doesn't contribute to the extra run-off of rain water that all the extra paving is adding to.

J
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I think I am going to give tomato sause a try, I have little brown rings all over my grass.
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
There's stuff that's designed for dog runs (and apparently they use it at crufts) so I'm sure that can't be the case anymore.

if its the stuff i looked at they use it for the agility ring at crufts

at the time people were telling me that the dogs were at risk from astroturf burns from skidding around but this scenario with the fake lawn heating up in the sun is different to that

if i remember rightly someone said to stay clear of asphalt as well because that also melts in the heat and could stick to the dogs feet

i used to use wood chippings at my old house but you cant really disinfect it as well paving an i really dont want neighbours complaining about the smell
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Did try those rocks once but can't tell you if they would have worked as the dogs kept fishing them out & chewing on them so I gave up after a couple of days.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Lawn??? what is this strange thing you speak of??

We used to have one of them I think... It started off like this

a year and 2 new dogs later.. and it looks like this

We are crossing fingers it *might* come back..
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >