Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
So when did we decide to 'underline' what we have now and say "that's it, no more changes"

All the dogs we have now have evolved slowly through selective breeding.

Aren't pedigree standards a result of change and if so why should we just stop ?

If people believe in changes that could be for the better but accept they are going to be outwith the 'current' satandard, why not let them move on with their dogs as millions did before.
So tell me Phil, what possible "gain" could a Poodle get from being mismarked?
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I completely disagree with breeding from animals with ANY genetic or otherwise faults. Colour comes into that with me too, breeding colours which are not in the breed standard on purpose is something I strongly disagree with, the same as anything else. If you want to breed pedigree dogs, stick to the standard laid down and do it correctly, or dont breed at all. No personal feelings here becky, just my opinion.
Dawn.
I agree with this completely
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 07:58 PM
So tell me Phil, what possible "gain" could a Poodle get from being mismarked?
I think it's more a case of asking what is it possibly lacking ?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I think it's more a case of asking what is it possibly lacking ?
I think your'e avoiding the point Phil. I ask you again, as in your post you said why should we stop "changes" I am asking you, what possible benefit could a Poodle get from being purposely bred for an unnaccepted colour? Who gains in it?

I can tell you what its lacking, its lacking the correct colour laid down in the breed standard.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I completely disagree with breeding from animals with ANY genetic or otherwise faults. Colour comes into that with me too, breeding colours which are not in the breed standard on purpose is something I strongly disagree with, the same as anything else. If you want to breed pedigree dogs, stick to the standard laid down and do it correctly, or dont breed at all. No personal feelings here becky, just my opinion.
Dawn.

I agree with you Dawn
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I think your'e avoiding the point Phil. I ask you again, as in your post you said why should we stop "changes" I am asking you, what possible benefit could a Poodle get from being purposely bred for an unnaccepted colour? Who gains in it?

I can tell you what its lacking, its lacking the correct colour laid down in the breed standard.
I'm not narrowing this down to the colour of a poodle.

You keep asking me what the benefit is in not conforming to a standard. I'm not saying that there is a benefit - that's my point. I'm just saying that providing you're not risking health - then what's wrong with thinking 'outside of the standard'

All you can say is that what's wrong with it is that it isn't the correct colour laid down in the breed standard.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:30 PM
but surely when breeding we should be breeding the best,with as few faults as possible and as close to the standard as possible.
we should be aiming to produce the "perfect" example of the breed,otherwise what's the point.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm not narrowing this down to the colour of a poodle.

You keep asking me what the benefit is in not conforming to a standard. I'm not saying that there is a benefit - that's my point. I'm just saying that providing you're not risking health - then what's wrong with thinking 'outside of the standard'

All you can say is that what's wrong with it is that it isn't the correct colour laid down in the breed standard.
But Phil that it the WHOLE point of breeding pedigree dogs, to conform to the standard laid down, dont you think if more "pet" people did this we would see Yorkshire Terriers that were the correct size and not HUGE, and Cavaliers that were not as big as Springers and for that matter Springers that look like Springers! If people want to go outside the standard, IMO they are doing the breed an injustice, if they are not happy with the breed they have, instead of changing it to make it more pleasing to them, maybe they should get a breed that does suit them in the first place!
Dawn.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 08:35 PM
But Phil that it the WHOLE point of breeding pedigree dogs, to conform to the standard laid down, dont you think if more "pet" people did this we would see Yorkshire Terriers that were the correct size and not HUGE, and Cavaliers that were not as big as Springers and for that matter Springers that look like Springers! If people want to go outside the standard, IMO they are doing the breed an injustice, if they are not happy with the breed they have, instead of changing it to make it more pleasing to them, maybe they should get a breed that does suit them in the first place!
Dawn.
But we're not talking about pedigree dogs. I totally agree that if you want a pedigree dog to breed again within the breed that it should meet the standard.

What I'm trying to get you to understand is that if somebody want's to take it off at an angle (for whatever reason) that I totally agree with the freedom to do this. It creates new ideas and new uses and it's up to the folk that lay down the law of the breed standard to have their eyes open to see possible future benefits of these off shoots and let breed standards evolve.

That's what has always happened.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Your post said...
Aren't pedigree standards a result of change and if so why should we just stop ?
Maybe I misunderstood, but to me that directly says you were talking of pedigree dogs.
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »