View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Tiggers2, thanks for clarifying things. You have been doing everything you can, therefore, so that is not the reason for the fights. It is just that I had been reading 'The Dog's Mind' by Bruce Fogle, and he describes the scenario of desperate fights between 2 dogs who lived together in the same household, and had established their own hierarchy, but the owners continued to greet the older one first - and this was causing the problem as the younger one had established his superiority. Once the owners were attuned to the established hierarchy, the fighting stopped. admittedly this book was written in 1990, so theories could have changed since then. It was all fresh in my mind as I was reading it at the weekend so when I saw your problem I thought that maybe this could be a factor, obviously I was mistaken. Of course it would be much easier to get to the root of the problem if both dogs belonged to you - you just don't really know what kind of training other dog owners practise. Hope it all gets sorted out to your satisfaction.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your positive thoughts maebme It would seem that the book you read actually is pretty close to what I suspect will happen with these dogs as Tigger matures.

Anyway, they went on their walk this morning and I am pleased to report that there were no fights. My OH gave Gyp his treats first and this seemed to appease him. Tigger was quite happy to wait for his treats. When Gyp ran off to chase sheep ( ) instead of putting him on his lead as soon as he returned (what his owners would do, then resulting in Tigs being offlead and him straining onlead!) my OH suggested a change and called Gyp to him before he reached the sheep offering a treat. He came bounding back, sat for the treat and the problem was solved. It sounds so simple but its difficult isnt it to get people to change what they routinely do. However, when their way causes your pup to become hurt it gets a little easier.

I really hope all walks can be like today.

Thanks everyone for your help.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2007, 12:00 AM
word of warning dont go near sheep you are very lucky to not suffer shot in their **** and a dead dog!! its quite despicable to allow dogs off lead with sheep in fields with lambing season upon us......

do you realise sheep can abort so quickly? which isnt good for the farmers in years like this that rely so heavily on stock!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
word of warning dont go near sheep you are very lucky to not suffer shot in their **** and a dead dog!! its quite despicable to allow dogs off lead with sheep in fields with lambing season upon us......

do you realise sheep can abort so quickly? which isnt good for the farmers in years like this that rely so heavily on stock!!
Have to say that is a good point. My older two have no prey drive whatsoever (or the will TBH! ), but even I positively avoid fields full of sheep at this time of year. They wouldn't chase the sheep/lambs, but that doesn't necessarily mean the flock wouldn't be disturbed/upset by our presence.

Aside from that I would see how things go between the two by continuing to greet/treat the more dominant one first. Hopefully it's just an age thing? If not it may be worth considering neutering the more submissive dog (Tigger, I understand?) to help matters?
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
its quite despicable to allow dogs off lead with sheep in fields with lambing season upon us......

Thanks for the warning Sarah. However, I dont think I wrote that the dogs were offlead in a field full of sheep. If I did then please quote me and I will apologise for the lack of clarification. I said that Gyp ran off to chase sheep.
Now I do agree that that sounds like he actually got to do this, but he didnt, they were in the far distance (in another field) and he ran from the owner at a right angle with the intention of going to investigate at which point he was called back.
In my defence you will notice what time it was when I posted, almost one in the morning! I wanted to make sure there was an update for those following the thread and giving me such wonderful advice so if the post is sketchy Im not too surprised.

Additionally, I must point out again that Gyp is not my dog. I can offer advice and warn against some things that are contrary to what Ive been taught but I cant take the lead off someone else and control their dog!

Im actually quite unnerved that you think I sound like a 'despicable' dog owner. I even put the smilie to indicate how I wouldnt have condoned this behaviour. We are currently avoiding nearly all of Tiggers favourite walking areas to leave the sheep in peace, hence the abundance references in my initial posts to cycle paths!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2