Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 04:07 PM
RE: finding it hard to fall asleep.

I used to have so many problems falling asleep at night, until I made my bedroom *just* a bedroom.
I took my TV/video/dvd player, stereo etc out.

All I have in my bedroom, is my Bedroom furniture, bed, and books.

I read somewhere that when you turn off an electrical item, even a tiny little red 'stand by' light omits something. (I think carbon dioxide).
When you use your bedroom as other things - e.g. room for eating, watching TV....your mind finds it hard to associate your bed with just sleeping, so your mind stays active - hence you can't fall asleep.

As soon as I cleared all the electrical things out of my bedroom, I started sleeping so much better! I also hardly ever have 'bad' dreams any more.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 04:32 PM
i dont have the luxury to move anything out of my bedroom. My room is my bedroom, living room, computer room and eating room all in one this is the only room in the house we can use to put stuff.

A routine bed time would be helpful, but cant do that either cos of my working hours
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2005, 05:01 PM
CBT my niece has had Night Terrors from a very young age, it is one of the most distressing scene I have ever seen.

They did dwindle over the years but not completely
This girl had a lot of trauma in her life which probally caused her night terrors.

I find it hard to get to sleep(Initial Insominia) but when I sleep I sleep :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 , I get migraines and over many years I learned how to get over them myself, I go to bed with a really cold flannel around my head, take myself somewhere real relaxing in my head.i t took years of practice though
This does`nt work though when I am just trying to get to sleep-wierd

yvonne
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Wow what an interesting site CBT.
As I said on the other thread my son suffers from these and it can be so upsetting to witness he'll either get out of bed and run around screaming or just sit in bed screaming and shouting his head off in sheer terror. He can be calling for me and "looking" at me but can't seem to see or recognise me, it doesn't happen quite so often at the moment although it did the other night, one thing I have found is if I can capture his attention with something (that I say) it can bring him round quicker, there's no way I would be able to force him to wake up but I talk to him soothingly by telling him he's just dreaming and " mummy's here" but if I can find something funny or really interesting to tell him it will sometimes bring him round, often a story about Jasper farting or something will be enough to get through (hey he's a 7 seven yr old boy what else would appeal )
As I said it used to be alot worse and he hasn't had anything that could be classed as traumatic happen to him or anything, funnily enough though Mark (o/h) has very distubing dreams and says he always has had so maybe genetic ???
I'll save that site for a proper read later thanks
CBT
Dogsey Senior

01-02-2005, 09:43 PM
lol i like the bit about the doggie farts!!
yes its a good site, I found it a great source of comfort!
I have been sleeping quite well the last couple of nights, I have been going to bed around 1-2 am and getting up at 8am to let the dogs out for a pee, and I have found that listening to classical music (OK dont laugh, I know it doesnt fit with my image at all ) is actaully very soothing I usually play Chopin's Nocturne a couple of times and that helps me nod off. I had a bad night one night last week though, ended up sitting up til 4am watching vids to try and tire myself out - it worked in the end but I had one of my crazy attack things where I woke up and I had flung the remote control across the room and I was shouting at somone (no idea who )
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 09:51 PM
The classical music sounds like a good idea! anything to get you in a nice relaxed state b4 sleeping must be horrible for you
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2