Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by perrypooh View Post
If someone wouldn't strip for profit reasons then they would need to reconsider, as handstripping carries a noticably higher price tag than clipping for the extra time and phsical effort,
Perhaps they just need some practise Nicky!
I handstrip all my borders, despite having badly arthritic fingers, and I am willing to wager, I wouldnt take a whole lot longer than a groomer with clippers. A coat that is ready to be stripped, shouldnt need any great degree of physical effort.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Perhaps they just need some practise Nicky!
I handstrip all my borders, despite having badly arthritic fingers, and I am willing to wager, I wouldnt take a whole lot longer than a groomer with clippers. A coat that is ready to be stripped, shouldnt need any great degree of physical effort.
I know I just meant more than clippering.And it depends whether its just a tidy or a fully blown coat. Who knows why many groomers refuse to handstrip I suppose its up to them, means more scrummy dogs for me to get my hands on
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Tori if you are interested in hand stripping why not see if there is a terrier kennel in your area and approach the owners saying you wish to learn to strip in return for helping out with the grooming .

Hand stripping is a lengthly process and I guess most groomers would have to charge so much for the service the price would be prohibitive for most pet owners.

I am not surprised there is a waiting list with the groomer who is prepared to strip your dog.

Years ago we used to have a Cairn called Mermaid here she is hand stripped, it took many hours to get her looking like this

Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
We had an airedale when I was a kid and I quite ofter used to sit down and "strip" his coat. Many years later one of our neighbours bought a Norfolk puppy, a delightful little bitch, One afternoon I was round for a cup of tea and little Lindy sat on my knee, She was badly in need of a strip, a thick strip of hair standing up all down her back -- Well I couldn't resisit and got to work, forgetting about the carpet etc. and when friend arrived back with the tea she was horrified, though that little Lindy's hair should stand up like that - so I showed her how to strip the coat and Lindy was always neat and tidy afterwards. I do think that clipping spoils the natural texture of the coat. Kath
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I lay on the sofa with Bongo this afternoon and pulled out about half a chihuahua's weight in hair while she slept

Get yourself on this groomer's waiting list, but make it more productive all round by getting your dog used to standing on a table while you groom him. If you're being charged by the hour, you don't really want to be paying to have the groomer chasing him round the table, and it's very important that he's really well combed out before they start.

100% worth stripping a cairn - he'll look gorgeous, and will stay so much cleaner!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I believe groomers that don't agreed with hand stripping just don't know how to do it and would rather bull***t than admit to it.
FlyDogz
New Member!
Female 

16-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I would say learn to handstrip yourself if you can find someone to teach you.

I was lucky that someone at a flyball tournament was a groomer and taught me how to strip my Jack Russell. When I do her this year, I must remember to get some before and after photos!!!!

Once you get the knack, it's not that hard to do.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd definitely go for the handstrip, the dog always looks so much nicer for it. Saying that though I'm not against those that have their dogs clipped - whatever suits you is always best. We had an English Springer years ago that was purely kept as a pet and she was clipped every summer to keep her cool. Nothing wrong with that!

I accidentily stripped Pickles (Terrier cross) a couple of years ago when he was sitting on my knee one summer. Once I started I just couldn't stop, in the end it took me about 4 hours, but I hadn't had any training or a stripping knife!

Here he was last year, took me three hours this time!
Before:

After:

He's now clipped however as he's now heading towards 15 and as he's not keen on being handstripped, I don't think it's fair when clippers are a lot quicker!
dixiechick
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi I am new here but thought I might offer a word of advice.

I had a wonderful Border that I used to handstrip and I agree that it plays havoc on your fingers! I stopped stripping him in his twilight years though as I personally felt that as he was getting old and crumbly it was too much to ask of him to strip him and I started clipping him instead.

My parent's have a 10 year old Border now whom they clip as again he is old and has never been shown. My view is it is all down to personal preferences and whilst I appreciate some breed's should be hand stripped to be honest I don't think it matter's if you aren't showing them. I have always groomed my own dog's as I couldn't bear to leave them in the hand's of a stranger! and I know that to get it right takes hour's.

Definately make sure you find a groomer that know's your breed though as I have a friend who sent their Border to be stripped and the groomer only knew how to do schnauzers and her border looked ridiculous ( big beard and hairy legs!!) Anyway thats just my humble opinion.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2007, 11:20 AM
thanks for your view, im getting him handstripped in may and i trust this groomer as they told me to bring him in get used the grooming table and stuff and then i took him home and he seemed ok so the next time i go is may and he will strip his neck and head and then i take him back to finish him dont want to traumatise him by doing it all in one go. Hopefully i'll be able to post pics and you judge for yourself and tell me if you think it was a good job cause i dont want him coming out looking odd lol
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >