View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I'll still take her out to classes, because she enjoys them so much, but we won't go in for any competitive stuff. She is having fun learning the tricks - stretches her mind, if not her body. I have a field almost next door where she can stretch her body as well, so I think I've worked out a good compromise.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Hi Lottie,

Yes, well at first I did go over the jumps with her - she didn't have a clue!

Guess it is time to tell you that I do have a disabilty (quite apart from age).

I am deaf, have been since I was five year old.

As for the things that we just "do" together --
Well she lets me know that the washing machine has finished the load.--She lets me know that the microwave has finished. She does a whole lot of other things as well - all to my benefit.

It does take quite a lot of effort to train a dog to do these things. I got a lot of help from my friends.

A "hearing ear dog" costs $A10,000.

That's almost a year's pension!

For the most part, I "watch" my dog - and she "watches" me.

Sometimes we have a bit of a misunderstanding - but for the most part, we do work as a team.

It takes a little bit longer with a pup - but she's got the idea now.

I love what she does for me, and I try to do what is best for her.

If I am able to "talk" to a person for at least an hour, I can understand them. They have speech patterns.

bye
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Ozmutt

WOuld it be possible for you to do distance control with your dog and then you could still do the competition agility but wouldn't have to do the running around yourself

This is the website for disabled agility participants in the UK and may have some interesting info for you.

HTML Code:
http://www.agilitynet.com/news/paraagility.html
Not sure if it will work as a link but if not just type it in.

ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2007, 01:13 AM
We are happy together, and that, I think is the most important thing. She seems to have sensed that there's something different.

She is still a pup, but from working with her so intensely, I believe that she will turn out to be as good, if not better than, my previous two dogs - a GSD and a Golden.

I think I have taught her to "bark" - just have to wait until a friend comes around and I give the command. She certainly makes the shape of a bark!!

It is a challenge and so much fun.

The people I train with are so understanding. It's great.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2007, 05:54 PM
[quote=ozmutt;926742]Hi Lottie,

- but for the most part, we do work as a team.

Nobodies perfect, but a team can be!

It sounds like you and your doggy are a perfect team. You must be so glad you have her, and don't worry what you pick up from people, those type of things are often said without thinking.

BTW what do CD / CDX / UDX stand for??
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi Loses - The're shorthand for titles in dog obedience. Companion Dog, Companion Dog Excellent, Utility Dog and Utility Dog Excellent. Years back I went in for serious obedience training with a couple of GSD's. Haven't been serious like that for quite a long time now.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2