Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
PS i didn't quote that LOL
i just think a nice RED pedigree wouldn't give me the edge to buy in a puppy or use a dog at stud
You've lost me.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Agree with Inca here. A lot of red could indicate that the breeder is more concerned with number of champions rather than compatible lines and health.

i know there is a full stop just didn't want people thinking i said that LOL ...........as i do know some breeders with champions who are health testing
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:13 PM
suze, thanks I tend to feel the same, I look at dogs and think if it were a horse, that could be down to one of my mentors,, breeds clydesdales and the principle is the same I guess when it comes to pedigrees, I learned alot from Ian, he has had some very good horses, one winning supreme champion at the royal highland he won over all the stallions and was only a colt at the time then went on to take supreme overall champ, I often talk to Ian about lines and the like,

photo of Roughlands Telstar, he was a bit older In this picture, he was sold to Canada a short time after this picture was taken,

I Stole my puppy reg names from Ian, lol trademark, landmark hallmark and the like, thought they were quite good,,lol
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Agree with Inca here. A lot of red could indicate that the breeder is more concerned with number of champions rather than compatible lines and health.

i know there is a full stop just didn't want people thinking i said that LOL ...........as i do know some breeders with champions who are health testing
Ah... this is the bit I've misunderstood then -

"in this breed sometimes the more RED the pedigree has the more danger there is for certain health issue's"

Sorry, a bit slow today ......most days........ everyday
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:16 PM
"in this breed sometimes the more RED the pedigree has the more danger there is for certain health issue's"

meaning syringomyelia sorry i didn't make it very clear .....i think because some past chanpions were used at stud so much it made our gene pool quite small
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
The same can be said for ISDS registered collies.

I am fairly new to working collies, and personally I like to see a good mix of trials champions in a pup's pedigree, as I think you can tell a little more about what you are going to end up with. Of course, dogs are not an exact science and things can, and do, go wrong in breeding, but as far as I am concerned, I think you are stacking the odds a little more in your favour if you buy a pup from parents who have achieved something on the trials field - of course though working collies are a far cry from breed champions, so I could be way off topic here
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
my personal reason for the mateing was, I new what royce had produced to other bitches, and thought he would improve the pups, my bitch aint got the best feet and so on, he has fab, I did want to keep some line breeding in the pedigree, but it was not my first thought, I guess it just worked out that way, I had not actualy counted the champs on the pedigree,
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
suze, thanks I tend to feel the same, I look at dogs and think if it were a horse, that could be down to one of my mentors,, breeds clydesdales and the principle is the same I guess when it comes to pedigrees, I learned alot from Ian, he has had some very good horses, one winning supreme champion at the royal highland he won over all the stallions and was only a colt at the time then went on to take supreme overall champ, I often talk to Ian about lines and the like,

photo of Roughlands Telstar, he was a bit older In this picture, he was sold to Canada a short time after this picture was taken,

I Stole my puppy reg names from Ian, lol trademark, landmark hallmark and the like, thought they were quite good,,lol
What a FABULOUS looking horse
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I agree with you Moobli, but in the majority of peds its about being made up in the show ring - were some breeds might look 'perdy' but dont have a cat in hells chance of doing the job they were bred to do...if you know what I mean!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
I agree with you Moobli, but in the majority of peds its about being made up in the show ring - were some breeds might look 'perdy' but dont have a cat in hells chance of doing the job they were bred to do...if you know what I mean!
i get you ...just like some puppies with mega champion backgrounds can be poor examples of he breed

hence going back to the topic if i liked a pup with no RED background i would be happy
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >