View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 06:15 PM
When I got Archie his previous owner had no details of his microchip, though he was done.

I took him to my vets, they scanned the chip and gave me the number, plus the two companies phone numbers that deal in microchipping pets.

I phoned and they sent me out a form for change of ownership. It costs about £15 to do. As far as I recall they didn't ask for any signatures from previous owners.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Changing over the chip registration is more difficult with Identichip. They will write to the registered owner (of the chip) and give them 30 days to respond, either to confirm that they are no longer the owners of the pup or to notify a lost ot stolen animal. If the owners do not respond then the pups registration details will be changed over. They have this procedure to safeguard lost or stolen pets.

Hope this helps, Karen
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz View Post
Changing over the chip registration is more difficult with Identichip. They will write to the registered owner (of the chip) and give them 30 days to respond, either to confirm that they are no longer the owners of the pup or to notify a lost ot stolen animal. If the owners do not respond then the pups registration details will be changed over. They have this procedure to safeguard lost or stolen pets.

Hope this helps, Karen

This post has cheered me up no end, I had been thinking, IF its that easy to get the details changed surely we are waisting our money having them done, anyone could steal my dog and then just have it changed, It kinda make the whole thing just a waist of money if you can change them easyly, do you know what would happen if the old owner has moved and they dont get a response? I talked to OH last night and he said he may not even have sent it back, he only had the dog for 5/6 weeks and he may only have done the dog before we got it back so not sent it in, will need to find out from the vet when he got him done,. if I just do it all up front so to speak surely it will be alright it may take longer but that's fine, I wonder if they would do a temp thing so if he did wander off, my vet could be contacted as apposed to me or andrew?? just untill it gets sorted out??
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
This post has cheered me up no end, I had been thinking, IF its that easy to get the details changed surely we are waisting our money having them done, anyone could steal my dog and then just have it changed, It kinda make the whole thing just a waist of money if you can change them easyly, do you know what would happen if the old owner has moved and they dont get a response? I talked to OH last night and he said he may not even have sent it back, he only had the dog for 5/6 weeks and he may only have done the dog before we got it back so not sent it in, will need to find out from the vet when he got him done,. if I just do it all up front so to speak surely it will be alright it may take longer but that's fine, I wonder if they would do a temp thing so if he did wander off, my vet could be contacted as apposed to me or andrew?? just untill it gets sorted out??
If, after 30 days, the owner does not respond then the dogs micro-chip details can be changed. The person who actually chips the dog will send off the registration papers. When I chip an animal I register them on-line, it is much quicker and the details are registered immediately. I am not sure if Identichip offer the same service, at the moment we are using Pet-id as we can get a better deal on our chips. Pet-id chips are registered with Petlog, Identichip are not. Identichip have their own database. I hope you manage to get this sorted but in the meantime I would advise Thor's new owners not to have him off lead.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone Just had an email form andrew with the chip number, I logged on to identichip and explained the situation with the dog, as some have said it stated that they must give the last owner 30 days to respond, hopefuly they will be in touch soon, I am not even sure that the last owner sent the paperwork back, so just need to wait and see, but not as bad as I thought, thanks for the help folks, oh and andrew also said that thor had a clean bill of health, had taken gloria for a walk lol, norty boy and he did not like blue cars when I talked to him on sat he did say that the only time they new he was in the car on the journey home was when a blue van was behind him and got quite close and he began to bark,,,I cant think what it is with blue cars, To be honest I never noticed it here with him, but often we went to kinnard so there is no traffic so to speak, when he walked on roads here there are so many cars he did not pay attention, strange but as andrew says its not a problem,
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz View Post

Hope this helps, Karen
I agree with this and mine do the same. It would concern me with Petlog that they would be so happy to change details on a chip so easily. The dog could be stolen. I was under the impression that petlog make a charge for change of address and send forms out.
If they do change details over the phone I would be very disappointed in them, not doing their bit to prevent theft.
I'm glad I'm not with them if that's the case.
When I moved, I had to fill in a change of address application and provide a copy of my dogs registration with my name and old address on, proving that I was the legal owner.
Microchips would lose their value if anyone could call up and change a dogs details.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:58 PM
hi megan, I totaly aggree, whats the point in having them if they can be stolen and changed that easyily someone could steal the dog and change the details if they new you, then by the time the police found the dog and scanned it all would appear to be above board, it could if you think about it make getting the dog back more difficult,
Im glad my vet uses Identichip, I dont mind having to wait 30 days, I did email them last night and have had no reply though so will call them shortly,,,,, will let you know how it goes.,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Have rung Petlog, they don't do it by phone any more. They send you out a change of ownership form which you have to complete. On the form is a declaration you sign that says in the event of the original owner contacting Petlog saying the dog has been stolen they will revert the ownership back to them. Hence very important if you do lose a dog to tell Petlog (and presumeably Identichip are the same) so this cannot happen. Also keep your details upto date!
Becky
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Just had this email back from Identichip, Would I be better getting Andrew to contact them as it will just transfer to me from what I have read, so would cost £5 for me then when transfered to him it would cost another £5

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

For security reason’s, we cannot update your details in response to an e-mail or telephone call.

To enable us to make a change of ownership, we will need a letter from the original owner stating that they have given up ownership of the animal to yourself, we will then need a letter from yourself together with all your details. Alternatively, if you have the certificate, then you should send us in the change of details section.

If you do not have any paperwork from the previous owner we will arrange for a relinquishment letter to be sent out once we have received written correspondence from yourself.

I must advise you that a fee of £5 per animal is payable to update the database and cheque’s should be made payable to Identichip. Alternatively, we do run a service called Locate, which is a £14.95 payment (lasts for an initial period of 8 years, that’s less than £2 per year), which allows you to change your address for free. Also we assist you in getting your pet back in the event of it going missing by contacting vets within a catchment area of where your pet went missing from and sending you posters for you to advertise.

All correspondence should be sent to:

Identichip
PO Box 33
Common Road
Dunnington
York
YO19 5YW

Alternatively if you have the certificate for your pet you can go onto our website www.identichip.co.uk and make the changes there. You will need your pets microchip number and security password, both of which will be on your pets certificate.

Regards,

Michelle
Animalcare Ltd
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
If you do not have any paperwork from the previous owner we will arrange for a relinquishment letter to be sent out once we have received written correspondence from yourself.

[/LEFT]
It is this relinquishment letter which I refered to on my previous post, Identichip allow 30 days for the previous owners to respond. If the previous owners respond straight away you will be able to transfer the pup, it is when letters are ignored that it drags on. I hope you get it sorted out sooner rather than later.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >