View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
The advice given doesnt need adding to but i do have to say WELL DONE !! on rescuing her and what a wonderful job you are doing so far with her, you both deserve a medal

Ems
xx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi mypalmia

I think you're doing an excellent job already. Taking on any rescue is never an easy task, especially one that has been abused like this. I know, I've been there, and some of them had appauling histories

Some of the mental scars may never heal.Regaining her full trust is going to be a very long road and you may never regain all of it. I had a Dane that still hit the floor if I picked up a metal dish, right up until the day he died

As for advice, I don't think that I can add anything else that hasn't already been said.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Di

First: Welcome to Dogweb.

Then I would just like to congratulate you on rescuing this poor girl.

I have nothing to add to the brilliant advice already given

Just want to wish you good luck, and I hope to hear more about you and Mia.

Maybe even seeing some pictures?
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I just want to second everything that has been said.
WELL DONE

Mitch
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Just like to say welcome and well done for rescuing your poor little girl.At least she has a good home now.
mypalmia
New Member!

08-01-2005, 08:44 PM
First may I say thank you to everybody for your warm welcome and great advice. I will stop worrying about the bathing, as I do wipe her down with a flannel if she gets mucky so I will leave it at that. As for doing things to her like cleaning her ears, I usually do this when we are cuddled up in bed lol. I can stroke her ears and put my fingers in them, but as soon as she sees a bit of cotton wool, she is off, but she will let me get any muck out with my fingers, so this is what I do, but I have to be quick and wipe my finger, as she will try and clean me lol.
Mia loves toys and is very playful with them but will not share, as when I first had her she did not seem to know what a toy was. She only ever picks up her own toys, and although my grandson leaves his toys about, she never touchs them, she just seems to know which are hers and which are his. When I go out she never chews up or fouls, she is just such a good girl.
It is difficult for me to take her to a dog trainer, as I am still having treatment for cancer and am not always fit enough. Mia has been my rock over the past three years and seems to know when I am not well. If I have to stay in bed, she will not leave me, not even to go to the loo. (please don't worry about me I am on the road to recovery hopefully) just wanted to make the point of what a great relationship Mia and I have.
I did have a great trainer that came to my house to try and sort her out, as I was trying to look after another ill-treated dog until I could re-home him. She wasn't to bad when the guy was there, but as soon as he went she would get all upset again. I did find a good home for the other dog. Although I have lost touch with this trainer, his opinion of her was that she is a dog full of fear around other dogs, and now I am sure she is a dog that is not prepared to share me with any other dog. The reason I say this is that my daughter has taken her out lately and says she wasn't to bad when meeting other dogs. My daughter recently took her to the vets for me(as I was unwell) and she was able to have a hematoma treated without sedation, but if I had of been there she would have gone balistic. When my daughter asked why this was the vet, who I have known for years, says he feels Mia is so protective of me she panics when strangers come near me., so maybe I haven't done such a good job with her after all. I will try taking her out and doing what has been suggested, and will let you know how it goes. Am not sure how to put her picture on here but will try and work it out lol
once again thankyou everybody.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Hello Di :smt039 sounds as if you have got yourself a great little dog there and that you have managed to cope with Mias problems most of the time. As she is six and you have had her for 4 years I would not worry too much about things, you have coped so far, enjoy Mia for the good little companion she
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

09-01-2005, 10:08 AM
You done a good job with her great keep it up
the link below tells you how to post your pics
http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi again
out of interest...what do you do when Mia meets other dogs and starts trembling?
mypalmia
New Member!

09-01-2005, 08:27 PM
When I am walking Mia and we meet another dog, I just try a still walk along with confidence, and usually talk to her, but if she gets a bit snarly I usually cross the road if I can. I took her for a walk tonight, and she saw a dog on the other side of the road and started pulling towards it, but there was no shaking. I just kept walking and said nothing to her and she soon lost interest, so I am going to make a point of taking her out again every day and keep my fingers crossed all goes well lol. Will let you know what happens if we meet a dog on the same side of the road.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >