Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 12:43 PM
No i don't agree with it at all.
I think I would have done the same as you and pretended to be interested in one.
Well done for reporting them, lets just hope RSPCA actually do something.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 12:46 PM
No i dont agree and think its disgusting! i also thought it was illegal?? Well done for reporting them.

Its a shame you didnt take any pics to pass on to the RSPCA
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Do you know anyone else in that area that has been in and seen this also ? I would encourage them to complain too,The more people that make a fuss the more likely they are to do something .
Which area was in in Teeny?

Not sure about the RSPCA closing it down though, there is a pet shop in Leeds that sells allsorts of live animals including puppies and kittens, they are always being reported but they are still there, the whole shop is filthy and run by people who obviously don't give a damn
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:49 PM
It's still legal for pet shops to sell puppies (and kittens) though they do have to be licenced by the local authority.

The guidelines for local authorities on how to judge and approve licences is given in the "Model Standards for Pet Shop Licence Conditions, 1998" published by the Local Government Association. The 'Model Standards' relate to good record keeping, permitted number of animals and densities, disease prevention and control and accomodation. It's also advised the pet shop should be inspected reguarly (eg. annually). Each individual local authority dictate their own conditions and can tweak accordingly. You should be able to find what your local authority requires on their website (try a search with "pet shop licencing" and your local authority).

If the conditions are appalling then the local authority should prosecute and revoke that pet shop's license. When I've called the RSPCA about a bad pet shop before, I was basically told to call the local authority. It might also be worth giving the local newspaper a ring who are usually on the look-out for interesting stories. And there's nothing like a bit of press interest to help get government offices moving

Do post if there's any progress and good luck with it.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:51 PM
i cant believe that. i didnt think it was legal to sell pups/dogs in shops anymore. have you had any come-back from the RSPCA? i feel so sorry for all the little puppies there. what a way to spend your first few weeks/months of life...
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:57 PM
oh wow, ive never seen pups for sale in any pet shops, ive been to loads as my dad has fish & i used to have rabbits!

cant you phone the Rspca? it cant be right to have them there like that!

thats weird to i watched a episode of sex in the city a couple of night ago and she bought a pup from a pet shop and it shocked me as ive never seen it before!
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I still havent heard anything back from the RSPCA, but it was only 4 hrs ago that I called them. I will give them until later before I ring them back to find out if they are going to investigate.

I have rung my local council who put me in touch with the relevent people, and I have reported it to them now too.

I am going to ring my local newspaper. Hope I'm not sounding too drastic to you guys but this was truely awful what I saw today.

I know I shouldnt of gone into the shop in the first place...but it honestly looked like an 'ok' pet shop from the outside.

I still feel sick from what I've seen today
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 02:45 PM
i dont think your going over board you could be saving lots of pups lifes! where do you live /where was the pet shop? as my sister is the editor of a newspaper she might be able to print something if its in her area?

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Well done for reporting it,there are a couple of places not far from me that sell puppies and kittens must say though they are kept in clean conditions.I don't agree with it though.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 03:35 PM
How awful I am so glad you reported them that is disgusting, fancy them not even having water to drink. They are definately breaking the law, I hope the place gets shut down pronto
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >