View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
oh wow i would have been so worried poor little baby hopes shes feeling better we are sending hugs + kissies.
i dont think i would have been to happy with that vet either sounded like he was a bit ummm arrhh umm
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Hope she's feeling a little better xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Hope she is back on top form soon Patch.
Dawn.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Hope she's feeling better today and hasn't been sick again. What a list of diagnosis' that vet went through with her though - was he fresh out of college then??? Neurological my a**!! I think you were right to decline that one Patch! Thank goodness it doesn't sound like anything serious, so hopefully you'll have a good week-end and won't have to go back there with her in an emergency, it's so worrying I know, I'm the same.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks all

Silk is looking much better thank goodness. I stayed awake until I was sure she was out for the count herself and looking comfortable this morning. She has just had a charge around in the garden and is wanting to play, her usual alert everreadybunny self right now. No sickness or appearance of nausea, and no sign of the runs at the moment.

Scorpio, yep her tum also eased after she had been sick and that was when she started looking better then after a while longer she started looking better by the minute, [ literally ], but the possibility of bloat stayed on the backburner as the night went on so to speak, just in case.
We were there until just after 7am so a good few hours of watching her very carefully for any worsening.

I spoke to one of my agility students this morning and he reminded me of then his little Spaniel was rushed to the vets a few weeks ago, and when talking through the symptoms they were almost identical. His girl was put on a drip until she rallied then she was right as rain by the end of that day too.

I did consider all environmental factors here, but there have been no chemicals used, no recently wormed horses [ ivermectin being risky to collies ], and nothing apparently connecting Silk and the Spaniel in timing etc, though he did mention `winter vomiting` which he said seemed to be som sort of viral / infectious `thing` which does the rounds.
I have`nt come across that before myself but I`ll try and do some searching around

In my first post I said her globulen count was up, it was`nt that one it was Albumen, and thats the one he feels the machine may have not done correctly [ he put that on the notes as well which he gave me a copy of ].

One thing I will say is the whole thing made me even more appreciative of my own vet, [ if thats possible cos I already know he`s a gem ]. He does`nt throw out all sorts of horrendous sounding possibilities without being sure that they are a likelihood first and when he does strongly suspect something he explains it fully rather than cause even more worry to an owner at a time when they are already spinning with worry !

For Fudgeley,

main symptoms of bloat, [ of which any combination may be present or even just one alone initially ] are :

[ from http://www.dailydrool.com/bloat.html ]

• Attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful); may occur every 5-20 minutes (One of the most common symptoms)
• Doesn't act like usual self
(Perhaps the earliest warning sign & may be the only sign that almost always occurs)
• Significant anxiety and restlessness
(One of the earliest warning signs and seems fairly typical)
• " Hunched up" or "roached up" appearance
(This seems to occur fairly frequently)
• Bloated abdomen that may feel tight (like a drum)
(Despite the term "bloat," many times this symptom never occurs or is not apparent)
• Pale or off-color gums
(Dark red in early stages, white or blue in later stages)
Lack of normal gurgling and digestive sounds in the tummy
(Many dog owners report this after putting their ear to their dog's tummy)
Other signs:
Gagging
Heavy salivating or drooling
Foamy mucous around the lips, or vomiting foamy mucous
Whining
Pacing
Licking the air
Seeking a hiding place
Looking at their side or other evidence of abdominal pain or discomfort
May refuse to lie down
May attempt to eat small stones and twigs
Drinking excessively
Heavy or rapid panting
Shallow breathing
Cold mouth membranes
Apparent weakness; unable to stand or has a spread-legged stance
Especially in advanced stage
Accelerated heartbeat
Heart rate increases as bloating progresses
Weak pulse
Collapse

Silk did have a few of the symptoms which is why I treated it as a possibe bloat emergency and got her to the vet straightaway.
If it had been bloat, every minute counts and the possibility must never be ignored or considered as ` lets wait til morning` or ` give it time, it might go away`.
Where bloat does occur, any time wasted could be a death sentence

High risk breeds [ in brief ]:

What breeds are at greater risk for bloat?
Bloat is most common in large deep-chested dogs such as the Great Dane, German Shepherd and Rottweiler. However the dogs in the example are not the only ones susceptible to bloat. Other deep-chested dogs such as Akita’s, Bloodhounds, Dobermans, Standard Poodles, Bassett Hounds are also at higher risk for bloat.

Don`t we all just love the worry our doglets put us through
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for putting all that info up Patch, I am interested in this as I've never (thankfully!) experienced it with any of my dogs, but a friend of mine did and the vet said she had 20 minutes only to get her opened up! That's not long is it!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm so pleased Silk is much better, it can be so scary when they catch us off guard like that. Fingers crossed she'll be fine from now on.
Sheree x
Sunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Why does it always happen at night? Get well soon Silk
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2