View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Lilly is a very pretty Cockatiels are great birds!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh ,lovely ! Cockatiels are gorgeous :smt007
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Lovely pictures Very cute x
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
you should never point your finger at a bird
most birds will bite a finger if it is pointed at them
We learnt that one very quickly Jax, and we only did it once by accident

Now the problem is geting her to stop screaming and nibbling fingers when she's perched on our shoulders. I put my hair behind my ears and she went mad Screaming and ready to bite If she thinks your finger is anywhere within a 3 feet radius of her, she makes her distaste quite clear Emma wants to know what she can do to get Lilly to understand that our fingers aren't going to hurt her
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 07:16 PM
ooops messed up deleted lol
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 07:17 PM
wolfie it is really hard to stop them once they have that fear
JJ hates fingers too,we don,t know why as he was handreared by me,but he has just come to hate them

get Emma to try teaching the bird to "step up" if she don,t already know that command
and everytime she does praise her and give her a treat(maybe a small piece of fruit or a nut)keep her fav fruit and nuts for treats only
that way the bird will step up onto Emmas hand and realise it ain,t a bad thing cos the bird is getting a reward
but tell Emma to wear a pair of gloves or to put a t towel over her hand the 1st few times incase the bird lashes out to bite her
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
wolfie it is really hard to stop them once they have that fear
JJ hates fingers too,we don,t know why as he was handreared by me,but he has just come to hate them

get Emma to try teaching the bird to "step up" if she don,t already know that command
and everytime she does praise her and give her a treat(maybe a small piece of fruit or a nut)keep her fav fruit and nuts for treats only
that way the bird will step up onto Emmas hand and realise it ain,t a bad thing cos the bird is getting a reward
but tell Emma to wear a pair of gloves or to put a t towel over her hand the 1st few times incase the bird lashes out to bite her
thanks Jax She does know the 'step up' command, but when Emma puts her finger near Lilly, she tries to have a go She doesn't bite hard, more like a gentle nibble round your finger. The same goes for giving Lilly treats by hand too, she screams and then nibbles your finger

I have found though, by moving my finger near her slowly, then tickling the back of Lilly's head seems to be working. She loves her tickles and finally sits there and goes to sleep
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2