Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 10:50 AM
haha agreed!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:05 AM
god dont get me started on parenting........did anyone see britains youngest mums & dads? one said because her daughter only got 1 sex ed class.........she became pregnant!! whats was wrong with her own Parents bloody telling her!!! oooo that really annoys me!

and i think that kids Should learn pet care at school, at my secondary school we had a farm! and during science we would learn how to look after them, which was really good!

it also makes kids feel good as they have a little responcabilty (SP) and makes them feel like they have accomplished something......
as for languages, i never paid attention and mucked around all the time, i wasnted interested, id rather much be doing a subject i liked! like animals!!!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:15 AM
thanks for backing me knotty, I think they thought i am crazy!

"it also makes kids feel good as they have a little responcabilty (SP) and makes them feel like they have accomplished something......"

you know it really does, and what better way to teach them than by POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT !!!!

The kiddies i 'play' with all want to know how to teach them to roll over, give the ball back, do a stay etc etc.... and they love that my dogs are so interactive. Lots of them have dogs at home, but as i said they are chained up and staked out as a symbol of power of the house or something. Those dogs don't play or have interest in the kids, they don't have their basic needs met (to frolic about)....
I know the parents could do better, but in Dundee there are generations of young parents, who never worked and have no intention of doing so... the only thing to pass the time is have kids and create a riot with the neighbours... I think dogs are the last thing on their minds.
shouldn't have kids if you ask me..mutter...mutter
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
LoL! I totally agree!! :smt041
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I've been round a phenomenal number of children, dogs and the two together...
Not all children like dogs, some are allergic, some are scared, some, believe it or not, are just not even the slightest bit interested. Some can't go near a dog for religious reasons. Why should any of those children have to be taught a 'canine class'??????
Parents have a responsiblity to educate their children and as Trouble said, if parents can't parent then we should be offering lessons in that, not in dogs...
As a teacher i know full well that there is not enough time in the week to cram everything in...let alone a dog class...then you get into cat classes, tortoise classes, rabbit classes, budgie classes, snake classes, lizard classes...the list is endless...
Just because YOU are interested in dogs and have them as a priority in YOUR life, does not mean everyone does or should have. For every child that approaches you interested in your dog...there is one that hates it and won't.

As for positive reinforcement...yes dogs can help children with that, but you know what, feeling loved and valued by the PEOPLE around them is MUCH more important...
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 05:37 PM
I dont think she meant just have a class about dogs, just to respect animals would do!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
I dont think she meant just have a class about dogs, just to respect animals would do!

That's a parents job
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
its a Parents job to teach most things, but sadly some people dont teach that either! :smt102
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
its a Parents job to teach most things, but sadly some people dont teach that either! :smt102
possibly but still doesn't make it the schools job to do every job the parent can't be bothered with
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I never said it did! i said its a good idea is all!
and your right some people cant be bothered, and its there kids we should be trying to help to educate more about, well, most things really!
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »