Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks guys,

So let me get this right - you can have a pit or a pit x in the country as long as they're neutered muzzled and registered but it's illegal to breed them (obviously).

This girl's going to get her's neutered but I still feel that he needs some sort of registration. Is there anything she can do now to legalise him? Obviously, she's not going to hand him back over (the type of person to buy a pit x knowing that pits can't be bred from isn't the sort of person to hand him back!) so is there anything I can suggest she does to make sure he isn't taken away from her?

Thanks
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:37 AM
AY?? Last time i checked the dangerous dogs act, it said that there were 4 breeds that were illegal in this country and pit bulls were one of them. This is an extract taken from a leaflet on the issue:

Types of dogs prohibited in Great Britain and the circumstances.

The DDA bans ownership, breeding, sale and exchange and advertising for sale of specified types of fighting dogs. The dogs covered by the ban (under section 1 of the DDA) are of the type known as: • Pit Bull Terrier • Japanese Tosa • Dogo Argentino • Fila Braziliero

That's what DEFRA says....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 10:00 AM
IS it a Pit Bull cross though?

I've come across a lot of so called Pit Bulls and crosses, and they are usually just Staffies or similar.
People call them Pit Bulls etc as a selling point.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 10:14 AM
agree with hevvur - for some reason people think its inceribly cool to have a pit cross when in most cases its a staff cross or not even a cross just a staffie.

If you ask me its absolute morons that buy pit crosses because thats what they are TOLD they are. Yes its illegal to breed them and in fact the DDA has been in place for so long that there shouldnt really any be any breeding age pits still in this country ??

Someone the OH knows just had his "alleged" PIt cross puppy stolen from his units locally - and to be honest I have little sympathy for the guy as he was going round telling everyone he had got himself a pit cross and what a cool dog he was blah blah blah - he should have just said it was a cross staff or something and then sadly no one would be so interested in stealing it.

Obviously I feel sorry for the pup and whereever he has ended up - but this guy paid about £500+ for what was effectively a crossbreed pup with no history.

these are people who shouldnt own dogs as they clearlyu have done no homework prior to getting their dog or they would know that the breed is illegal.....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree there are people being ripped off, but there are also, very definitely, pit bulls and pit bull crosses around...
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
I agree there are people being ripped off, but there are also, very definitely, pit bulls and pit bull crosses around...
I agree- the Pitbull head is a lot different in shape to the staffie and to most breeds..People are still breeding them tho its underground. And yes theres still dog-fighting going on....................
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Saw a pit bull today when we were out...convinced, they LOOK different to staffis....dog was no prob though,happily playing with his footy....
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
IS it a Pit Bull cross though?

I've come across a lot of so called Pit Bulls and crosses, and they are usually just Staffies or similar.
People call them Pit Bulls etc as a selling point.
I agree also Heather.I've met people who claim their dog is a Pitbull cross,but in essence-its a Staffie cross.Dont know what the fascination is with people saying theres has "a bit of Pitbull in him/her",but it does mostly occur with young men trying to impress others round here!

Hell,only couple of weeks ago-i was asked by some teenagers whether mine was a Pitbull and they seemed quite upset when i said no!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 02:44 PM
We have a 'Pit Bull' in kennels at the moment - under police arrest.
He's lovely. But he's a Staffy (A rather large one, doesn't look like a lot of Staffies i've seen, but still a Staffy )

The police photographer came to take pics of him for evidence, and asked if he needed body armor/pads/gloves etc
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 02:47 PM
This is a fairly typical real American Pitbull- they look NOTHING like staffies- they dont have that lovely staffie smile- they are generally slimmer and longer-legged....
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >