Female 

29-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Benching

tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks Pita and Deccy

I have been looking at the schedules for 'Driffield' - 'Midland counties' and 'South Eastern Hound club'(I made sure they don't clash with the HCEA which obviously is a special one for us now as it was Alfies first big win and represents our area) and the CC's are in the Post grad Beagle at two of them (not the latter one) (which happens to be the appropriate class at this show for Alfie ) I think those are the closest Champ shows near me with plenty of time to enter (so fed up i didn't enter E of E as advised !) But Driffield i have heard of plenty so i'm wondering if it is indeed a 'biggie' which would scare me a bit I am not fussed about CC's at the moment,just the experience of trying our hand at a Champ show.
In terms of being in the ring,movement wise.....are you asked to do much more in the ring as opposed to an open show ?? I have only been asked so far to - go around the ring,a triangle and a straight up and down.I know it sounds a bit of a silly question but i gather with the benching system you can't always go and watch ringside which is what i try and do before i go in there to watch the judge and the dogs as i can be a bit panicky.
Don't know what i'd do without you lot ,especially J
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Tink, there is really no difference between the actual showing in a Open and Championship show. The classes will be for one sex only so all the dogs compete and then all the bitches but you will only be asked to do the same as you are at an open show. Your ring number cards are left on your bench and it costs a lot more but otherwise no difference.

South East hound and East Anglia don't clash, I hope, I am judging at one and doing my bossy boots act at the other
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi no Driffield is not one of the bigger shows about the same as E of E although I have not been to the new venue as it seems a bit too far for me., East Midland is bigger and you should not miss LKA in December.

PS Shame you missed the Hound Association Show on the 5th August, that one is very relaxed
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I dont use a bench never have hopefully never will (my van is more secure than a bench!) unless it was crufts and then we did this.............

There is a great dane there somewhere but word to the wise if someone mentions pre crufts party stay well away!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I dont use a bench never have hopefully never will
We don't have benching in Ireland at all, at many venues you are parked almost ringside and others, people either use crates with covers (if it is outside) or a small tent ringside. With only one dog being shown now, I use the van as a base and take Deccy out and walk him about a bit before he goes in the ring.
I thought Crufts would be a bit of a shock for him, but when we were there this year and I just put him in a crate on the bench which he was used to and he was fine.

PS looks like that was quite a party!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
I use crate with mine, i've just invesed i some pop up crates but only for the tweo older ones as not sure the youngsters wont chew their way out. You can use a benching chain but mine jump down
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy

PS looks like that was quite a party!
If that was directed at my photos I think it was any reason for a party will do and it is not unusual in my breed, we do in the most part get on well and enjoy the dogs, anybodies dogs, that is our interest. It is good to do well in the show ring but even better to have a good get together and natter Elkhound.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Three of mine have chains but one drops his back legs off no matter how tight I do the chain so he has a special bench guard that fills the front and top, I still use a benching chain on him as well. My old bitch is happy to sit on a bench without a chain but that is not really allowed
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2