Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Why do they crop the ears?
ragga_dood
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2004, 12:50 AM
I believe purely for looks, although I have read that they crop pitbull ears because the breed is prone to having ear problems due to restricted airflow. I don't know how true this is, but none of my APBT had cropped ears, and all of them had ear problems! If anyone knows for sure, I'd also like to know.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2004, 09:12 AM
I agree nice looking dogs, what is their make up the APBT is obvious but what else? Believe it or not there are breeders in the US of pitbulls this size lol. Well I LOVE the cropped look, sorry but I just say what I think lol. I think with some breeds it finishes them off nicely if I were in a country where it was legal and I had a breed that was usually cropped then I would have no qualms about having it done, call me cruel or whatever thats jmo.

The only reason that breeds ears are cropped is purely aestetic there is no truth behind that theory Ragga, perhaps you were unlucky I know lots of APBT owners (none cropped) and none have had any ear probs so perhaps its the luck of the draw. I think sometimes people will look for a reason to dress the issue of cropping up but at the end of the day its purely cosmetic...They used to say the same about pit dogs that it limited damage but this is a lie also because some of the greatest dogs of all time had full ears and it never hindered their performance, whatever the reason this dog does look the business lol.
ragga_dood
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2004, 10:32 AM
HI, these are 1st and 3rd generation Pitbull x Neapolitan, wich are then crossed to an athletic American Bulldog. I agree, ear cropping does finish the head, but I prefer full ears. With regards to the ear/ pitbull theory, I have read this in a very well known pitbull book, but don't believe all you read! But 4 APBT, all with niggly ear problems, coincidence? As for pit dogs, as you say, some of the greatest pit dogs ever had full ears, so there is no truth behind the damage limitation. As we're talking about ears, I bred an APBT x Staffie, to another APBT x Staffie, and after the dirty deed was done, the bitch flew into the dog, had him by the throat( luckily he had a leather collar on), the dog quickly turned to defend himself, grabbed the bitches ear, and tore it off! It cost me £100 in the vets to have it stapled back on! Bloody dogs! LOL
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Unlucky sounds painful lol. Your right about not believing everything you read lol. I like to make up my own mind about things, ear cropping is something I dont have a problem with but like I always say each to their own....

Looks a power house that one. I cant help thinking I have seen it somewhere before though.....may just have been a similar crossing.

Thanks for sharing them.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2004, 10:46 AM
stunning dogs
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for explaining
I do like the look of cropped ears on some dogs/pictures i've seen, but I don't think it's something i'd have done to my dogs.
I think ears are cute! lol
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2007, 07:53 PM
just come across this thread through doing a search! i can see it's very old but just wanted to say they are beautiful dogs and i'm also from ogmore vale small world
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Nice looking dog, but defo not a novice breed the 'bandog' so powerful!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Lovely dog. Tis a shame about his ears though.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >