Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do You bother with Booster Vacinnations
I only get the puppy ones done 11 20.00%
Never 5 9.09%
Every few years 13 23.64%
Always 26 47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I have said this so many times - look in your vaccination book and see exactly what you get every year.

I visit the vet once a year for boosters - but Teagan doesn't get *everything* every year. She gets Lepto yearly, and the rest 3 yearly, but we still have to visit the vet for her *booster* of lepto.

Don't just stop going to the vets. Speak to them first, see what they say, and you can always change vets.

Kingsley is 10 this year, and won't be having any more boosters(inc lepto). Like Helena, I think at that age, there must be a lot of immunity in his body, and don't think it's fair to keep putting things into him.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I titre test before I have the puppy vax done & never have the lepto vax as it is this that causes most of the back reactions(killed one of our Cavaliers)& if the puppy needs vax it is the titre tested after a month & then annually along with my other dogs

They also have Noscodes from when the first booster is due if they have the puppy vax & from the outset if they don't need the puppy vax

I voted for puppy vax only as trhere wasn't an answer to cover what I do
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Well this has certainly given me food for thought

Mine are 5 and 4 but have already had the yearly jabs for *everything* but now there is vacc's that last 3 years, I'll be going for that. I let the kennel cough lapse because of the kennels I now use doesnt insist on it, but does insist on having the dogs having upto date vaccinations. I'll move to the 3 yearly ones if they are valid for the kennels.

Hevuur do the kennels you work at take the ones that are valid for three years ? If it's common practise then I'll move onto having the dogs done for that then. And just boostered for the lepto every year.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:50 PM
As long as your card is up to date, we accept it - that is, any booster combination within the last 12 months.
No one who brings their dogs use titre testing, or any of the homeopathic remedies, but i'm sure my boss would accept it, if proof was brought.

I don't vaccinate Kingsley anymore, but he still goes into the kennels.
And my cat was never vaccinated (apart from as a kitten), and she went into the cattery multiple times.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:54 PM
That solves that Q for me then ! I'm now converted. Also after the latest debacle at home now, we have learn the hard way we can no longer have the dogs vaccinated for Kennel Cough, because of my dogs having it at the moment and I had Casper done last week, we have since found out it's dangerous to my OH so the dogs have had to live outside with only me tending to them, so no more Kennel Cough for mine !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I was using the Intervet 3 yearly booster + yearly Leptospirosis vaccination and health check ...

Originally Posted by Intervet
Thanks to years of research, Intervet can now offer an extended duration of immunity on its canine vaccines giving proven protection against killer diseases like parvovirus, hepatitis and distemper for three years. Indeed, Intervet is the first manufacturer in the world to be able to make this claim and we hope it allays pet owners’ fears regarding the need for annual vaccination of all diseases every year.
..but as Amy does not tollerate vaccination of any kind well (she frequetly has a large lump on the vaccination site) and considering her age I decided against anymore vaccinations a couple of years ago when she reached 13....she is now 15.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
That solves that Q for me then ! I'm now converted. Also after the latest debacle at home now, we have learn the hard way we can no longer have the dogs vaccinated for Kennel Cough, because of my dogs having it at the moment and I had Casper done last week, we have since found out it's dangerous to my OH so the dogs have had to live outside with only me tending to them, so no more Kennel Cough for mine !

Yikes, how is it dangerous to your OH?!
Teagan caught Kennel cough, and as she has a low immune system, it turned into a chest infection, but that cleared up within a week on antibiotics.

I think there are that many strains of Kennel cough anyway, that even if your dog is vaccinated against it, they can still get it - the supervisor at the kennels dog did!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I've always had our dogs done every year, pretty much on the dot. I still say, I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them that I could have prevented...the 3 yearly thing is really interesting though and I will be discussing it furthur with a few people before i make a deccision next time......
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Yikes, how is it dangerous to your OH?!
Teagan caught Kennel cough, and as she has a low immune system, it turned into a chest infection, but that cleared up within a week on antibiotics.

I think there are that many strains of Kennel cough anyway, that even if your dog is vaccinated against it, they can still get it - the supervisor at the kennels dog did!

Intervet says this on its web site

**Immunocompromised individuals should avoid any contact with the vaccine and vaccinated dogs for up to six weeks after vaccination.**

I would assume because anybody who`s immunocompromised would be at risk of catching something! This vax does shed the viruses.

ps heres the link for it http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Inte...e_/-29511.html
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
I've always had our dogs done every year, pretty much on the dot. I still say, I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them that I could have prevented...the 3 yearly thing is really interesting though and I will be discussing it furthur with a few people before i make a deccision next time......
Ailsa non of the vax on the market in UK for parvo, distemper & adno are to be given annually any more, why are your vets still doing this?
There is nothing to be discussed, its what the manufacturers say. Have a read what Intervet says.

**A single injection should establish active immunity to disease caused by canine parvovirus infection in dogs of 10 weeks of age or older.**
**It is recommended that dogs be revaccinated every 3 years.**
**A duration of immunity of at least three years has been established for the canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus vaccine components.**

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Inte...s_/-29489.html

These are scientific facts, not pie in the sky fairy stories.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »