View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I have pigeons too, but they're the woodpigeons or those grey doves, I've never had any of those run of the mill pigeons that you have in the towns, are those the ones you're getting? My o/h doesn't like seeing those woodpigeons eating, but to me, they're still my family of wild birds, so I never shoo them away. They never take any of the special treats such as the pears and grapes, they seem to stick to the sunflower hearts and I've got tons of that so I don't mind. Maybe Ashlady might know. I've got loads and loads of babies too, some have grown up now and new ones keep appearing and being fed every day

Btw, Springwatch starts tomorrow night so you'll learn a lot from them, it's fantastic!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Heres mine Karen!

My oldest Acer which almost died few years back from damn Vine Weevils.This corner of garden is rather like a jungle with Ferns,Black Bamboo and a strappy leaf type Bamboo (which is invasive so have to keep an eye on it!)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0775Small2.jpg

A forward view.It looks kinda 'woolly',but this is how i like my garden and is perfect for the birdies!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...M0772Small.jpg

One of my deck-Vegas was howling hence being open mouthed!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...M0773Small.jpg

My minature sunflower seedlings-2 types here-standard small and my favourite-Teddy Bear.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...M0781Small.jpg

You'll probably notice there isnt many flowers in garden and theres a damn good reason why-i suffer from hayfever
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2006, 07:47 PM
THey look beautiful, Steve. I think flowers are over-rated anyway. I love flowers but good foliage is even better. I try and keep my garden mostly foliage with just a few spectacular flowers in between. Too many flowers and your eyes can't take it all in.

I found a couple of vine weevil larvae yesterday. I hope I'm not going to get infested.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Was waiting for the garden thread to kick off again! Kazz your garden is very pretty, and lots of work gone into it.
With the winds we have been having lately we have had a few damaged shrubs and fencing, but hopefully will be ok now. Had to stake a Laburnham tree which was blown to pieces, but fingers crossed it will be ok.

I will post some more pictures in the week x
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2006, 07:53 PM
What beautiful gardens you both have... I love gardening and have been planting night scented stocks today....mmmmmm i'll enjoy those on the summer !!
Rachel
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Fantastic pictures Steve really lovely garden. I have considered decking but can't decide.

I do like Bamboo but never got round to it, but yours could change my mind.

Yours is a fantastic garden a real gem.

Karen
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 08:05 PM
sorry Steve scrolled down to reply to post and missed you links... lovely Acer. I love pots but my oh always moans about watering them !!

I have got a green garden too apart from the pots and we get loads of different birds, I love to sit and listen to them singing x
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I don't spray chemicals in the garden I let it sort itself out seems to have over recent years. I suffered slightly for a few years overrun with greenfly but not now
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
I don't spray chemicals in the garden I let it sort itself out seems to have over recent years. I suffered slightly for a few years overrun with greenfly but not now
Best way Karen-let nature take care of itself.

I used to spray the Aphids which infest many of my plants,but i learnt that Ladybirds do the job for me and dont cost a thing! All i did was strap about 10 bamboo canes together (about 10" long) with tape and place these bundles round the garden cause it gives the Ladybirds somewhere to hibernate over winter out of the cold.I still get Aphids,but now they are are at an acceptable level which no longer bothers me.

The only thing i do periodically though Karen is add a chemical to my Acers pots to kill off any Vine Weevil larvae which maybe present.I nearly lost my big one few years ago and would cost me a fortune to replace so im not entirely organic.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Luckily I don't seem to be bothered by vine weevil but all my acers are in the ground and I agree about the cost of recplacing them scary, when you see prices of acer in the £100's that aren't a patch on yours.

But as you say nature regains the balance if you leave it be. I do the same for lady birds. and do my best to attract the birds, butterflies and a varity of insects.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2