register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Age of perfect recall (allowed off lead)
3-4 months 25 58.14%
5-6 months 4 9.30%
7-8 months 3 6.98%
9-10 months 2 4.65%
11-12 months 2 4.65%
1 year - 2 years 2 4.65%
2 years - 3 years 0 0%
Still on lead 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Is it worth me trying now then? Roxy is 13 weeks. or have i left it too late?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
As mentioned before young pups tend to stick like glue. Iv never had any trouble with recall.
Thats what I found.
Pups don't seem to like running away from 'Mum'!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Is it worth me trying now then? Roxy is 13 weeks. or have i left it too late?
I think this is an ideal age!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 04:24 PM
ok i'll try taking her round back for a wee tonight and see what happens. (oh and try and hide the cat!)
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Thing is at that age they are wary and scared of the big bad world, so they tend to stay close to you.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 04:27 PM
but she does get to the end of her extendable lead and trys to pull to go further...
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Thats what I found.
Pups don't seem to like running away from 'Mum'!
Lol i couldnt let norman off as a baby! Hes so full of himself, he doesnt need his mom to look after him lol!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Interesting thread... I posted some pictures of Harvey the other day and someone commented as he was not on a lead....

As you probably know Harvey had his jabs later than normal, so I was unable to take him out at first. So I got him used to his lead in the garden, once he was used to that I would take off the lead, and get him to come to call.

To be honest after his initial round the block walks I took him to a large recreational area, met up with some other dog owners and let him off the lead to play. I called him and he came straight back to me and I praised him.

I now let him off the lead for most of his walks, but revert to the lead if we see other dogs. To date he has never gone more than 3 steps ahead, but this morning on the beach he was going to run to some others on the beach, so I immediately put the lead on.

I think we all get to know our dogs and when the time is ready. I will add that my previous Cavalier given the chance would run off and not come to call...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't think it's a question of age really, more like when you feel you can let her off safely. If she's pulling to the end of her extendable, then I'd be a bit dubious of letting her off just yet? Just my opinion. Only you know your own puppy. I always used to keep calling mine (in a nice friendly voice) when they were half way along an extendable or long training lead, and if she responded well to that every time, then I thought it was safe. Mind you saying that, many a time I couldn't get her back without squatting down on the ground - works every time! Walking with another dog that she knows will help a lot too, as she will tend to stay with the other dog even if she gets distracted and doesn't listen to you. This is just what I've found with mine
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 05:49 PM
I let Angel off lead and his recall was always perfect until he reached about 8/9 months old then it dissappeared. I only let him off now when there are no other people around otherwise he stays on lead, I let Misty off lead about the same age & her recall has always been perect until a couple of weeks ago when we had our first incidence of her forgetting herself and becomeing so overecited at seeing another dog that she ran off to play without coming back, she is almost 9 months.

I always take treats out and call them back every now and again so its doesn't just seem to be when there are other distractions and always treat when they come back when called.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »