View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:43 PM
I give them anything that's lying around really. Peanut butter is a good one, sardines, yoghurt, mashed tatty, dog biscuits and other veg to try and keep his weight down a bit.

Pickles just doesn't get Kongs, too complicated for him!

I would usually give them if I'm going out, or frozen ones outside if it's a nice day.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I put a bit of peanut butter, then a marrow bone treat, then another bit of peanut butter, then another treat, then another layer of peanut butter.

She is there for hours!

whoops forgot to say she has this at nighttime and then again in the morning before i go to work. But thinking of dropping the night time one soon..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2006, 10:58 PM
One of the following....mashed potato/ cooked rice/ cooked small pasta (if your dog is not wheat intolerant)

mixed well with finely grated/mashed veg (carrot, courgette, spinich would give a nice consistance, you can also buy very good frozen chopped spinich )
and one of the following a little grated cheese/ cream cheese/ sardines

Don't forget to deduct this from the daily food total..
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
we bought a Kong last week and got the squirty puppy paste to put in it but it's really expensive and doesn't seem to last long! Like some of the ideas you guys have posted though - will try them out!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
We've never had a kong but very interested in what you can use for training treats. We are using dried sausages cut up into pieces. Don't like anything too slimey as I like things you can keep in your pocket all the time.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by abbie
We've never had a kong but very interested in what you can use for training treats. We are using dried sausages cut up into pieces. Don't like anything too slimey as I like things you can keep in your pocket all the time.
We get little puppy treats from pets at home - cheap but effective!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
we dont use kongs but for training we use homemade liver cake, they can't get enough of it
1 pound raw liver liquidised
1 pound porridge oats
3 eggs
pinch of salt
Garlic
water to give gooey consistency
pour into a greased baking tin
30 mins on gas mark 5
cut into pieces when cool. keeps in the fridge and you can freeze half and defrost as required.
Be warned if you have it with you in the park you are likely to be mugged by passing dogs
becky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I had not thought of freezing them that is a good tip. Shumani always gets everything out so quickly I gave up using the kong but will give that a go.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I use Ozzys complete dog food as the main filling so he doesn't get porky Then I add little bits of tinned food/tuna and peanut butter sparingly and freeze it until solid.

He absolutely adores his Kong, I think they are a fab invention!
Melody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2006, 06:32 AM
what do you normally give for rewards when training your puppy??

He isnt really interested in brokn up dog biscuits, and only eats them if he is in the mood lol.

Ive read people give sausages but are they ok for dogs (as its pork??) or hot dogs cut up maybe??
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >