View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I personnally would never buy from the petshops. I would always give mine Drontel.
Worms in dogs could make them very ill. Can also be passed onto humans :smt078
So you have to be careful what your buying. I don't trust the ones you get from the petshops.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 11:54 AM
I class wormer as a drug. This is why i only get it from my vet.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I'm not sure what wormer I bought now.... Will have to check... Are some better than others?!?!

As long as it does the job....

Only gave her 1/2 dose, will repeat in a couple of hours - wanted to make sure there were no ill effects..!
Yes, some are better than others, some are useless, only use products from you vet, check what parasites they deal with and which growth stages of the parasites growth they will deal with, a product that only deals with adult round worms is not, no mater what you paid for it, worth the cost.
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 12:30 PM
http://hyperdrug.com/products.asp?dept=14

£52.20 for 10 EL drontal plus

£19.43 for 3 frontline spot ons for large dogs (20-40kg)
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Cheers for that.

Well. I have made a decision to not give her the rest, and get some other stuff.

Yep Jules - it is VERY expensive round here. I would be prepared to go a lot further to the vets, but I don't drive, so kinda stuck with these ones. I need to get her spayed soon too, and I am dreading to hear how much they will charge. I am half tempted to go back to Wirral just for it - but I think the £40 ticket would even up the price

Luckily (touch wood) she has never been so much as ill, but need to get her insurance sorted. Out of work right now, and just beginning to feel very skint! (luckily at the parents, so if there is an emergency, we are covered cheer mum!).
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Urgh - and you know, I am paranoid about worms... I mean. HOW would you know if you had them?

I hate parasites... I can handle anything - spiders, slugs, whatever... Just not parasites.. My sister had nits once.. She cornered me and I actually cried
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 01:01 PM
www.animalmedicines.co.uk

Another place you can get drontal (and other wormers too) at a reasonable price and they don't charge p+p but then alot of places don't for wormer I personally use Drontal, I don't quibble about wormers, not worth the risk
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 01:04 PM
I too am very picky about which wormers I will use. I did the veterinary medicines horse and dog wormer course years ago when I worked in the trade. I also used to keep and show horses which has made me fussy about wormers. I used to always get them through my vet, Panacur for puppies ( I'm lucky enough never to have had a pup have any adverse effects to this one) and Drontal for older dogs and cats.
Since I discovered I can get the identical drug from my local Chemist or online for about half the price that's where I get them from.
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 01:09 PM
dont know if your post code is anywhere on this list but the dog trust helps with the cost of neutering and microchippingin four areas

North East
Denise Gilgallon - 01325 335 055

Denise is based at our Darlington Rehoming Centre and has been Campaign Manager for the region since it started in 1999.

Postcodes covered: BD, CA, DL, DH, DN, HG, HU, LS, NE, S, SR, TD, TS, WF, WF12, WF14, YO

North West
David Wright - 0151 489 6913

David is based at our Merseyside Centre, where the NW region has been up and running since 2000.

Postcodes covered in this region: BB, BL, CH, CW, FY, HD, HX, LA, L, M, OL, PR, SK, ST8, WA, WN

Wales
Sian Edwards - 01656 725 345

Based at Dogs Trust Bridgend, this region has also been running since 2000.

Wales postcodes: CF, NP, SA, LD, LL, SY10, ST16, SY17, SY18, SY19, SY20, SY21, SY22, SY23, SY24, SY25, CH5, CH6, CH7, CH8, HR (HAY ON WYE)

Northern Ireland
Ronnie Milsop - 02825 632 820

The NI campaign office has been located in Ballymena Rehoming Centre, since 2000.

The NI region covers all the BT postcodes.

South West Scotland
Emma Speers/Lisa Spence - 01387 811 659

Based in our Dumfries office since 2003 – the postcodes for this area are: DG, FK, G, KA, ML, PA.
North West
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Confused, thought this was about worming, do the Dog Trust help with that?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >