View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2006, 09:45 PM
he has had a bit of weight loss, but thats cause i put him on a diet, he was so fat he actually wobbled when he walked daughter nicknamed him the tubby teddy bear, but he is "just right" now. His appetite is normal and i dont think he has funny smelling breath, just typical doggy breath , still gonna phone the vet though just incase there is anything wrong
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Axl, like the others said, if he`s drinking more than usual its best to have him checked out with the vet

I had a male dog staying once & he started drinking more than normal, took him the vet & he had a urine infection.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi , we am going through exactly the same thing at the mo............ Bandit has just had a load of tests done, as he has been drinking excessively , (all his tests have come back clear).........we now have to do 1 more test, I have to get a water sample from hin also have to monitor his drinking , to see how much he is actually drinking...................My vet says, they class more than 3 litres............to be excessive!..........but like others say if he are drinking more than normal,take him for a check up..................
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Can't tell you how much mine drink cos they have a paddling pool in the garden so I know there is always a plentiful supply of water for them - otherwise I am constantly refilling bowls. I've notice that NI tend to 'tank up' and will drink a whole bowl full while its there.

What you need to watch is the dogs themselves, if their drinking habits change and they are constantly drinking you should get them checked at the vets - there are many causes, from mild infections to more serious infections such as pyometra, kidney problems or diabetes.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 10:34 AM
ooops the system flipped and put my posting on twice - have taken the second one off.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
I've notice that NI tend to 'tank up' and will drink a whole bowl full while its there.

What you need to watch is the dogs themselves, if their drinking habits change and they are constantly drinking you should get them checked at the vets - there are many causes, from mild infections to more serious infections such as pyometra, kidney problems or diabetes.
Mine do that too, they "tank up", but I am always aware of when they tend to do this, so I don't worry about it. Good advice there Sansorrella about the change in habits
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Elkhounds take in vast amounts of water at one time, and then will go for a long while without drinking, have always thought it was because in their native land unfrozen water was/is hard to come by so when you find some you drink your fill plus a mouthful that you then deposit on your owners lap
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Lol Thordell, yes know that one well! And all over the floor, so they can watch you slip on it!
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanx all , advice taken and he has the vet on wednesday fingers crossed it is nothing as he is booked in to get "snipped" next week too
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2