View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Doesn't sound like a very nice vet they should be used to dogs acting differently. Lots of dogs don't like going to the vets, especially if they get one that they take a dislike to.
So I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm sure someone can give you advice about him being overprotective I've seen it lots on it's me or the dog
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 04:58 PM
thanks Brandiesnap - Danny really didn't like having his eyeballs pushed in - that's no exaggeration, honest. Poor wee man
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm not sursprised Sounds a bit harsh.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the vets.

With regards to you and your partner, it sounds to me like Danny is getting a tad above himself and he thinks he is higher up in the pack rankings than he ought to be

By getting between you and your partner, even if it is in a 'nice way' like licking you both, he is trying to assert himself and is in effect bossing you about.

In the nicest possible way, I think Danny needs to be brought down a little bit to earth and probably would benefit from a bit of obedience training. I would not allow him to dive between you and your partner even if it is in an endearing way as he is being dominant by doing this - Ozzy used to do it and whenever he did I made him do a down-stay in the room and deliberately cuddle Sid so he knew he wasn't allowed to dominate us.

The only reason I suggest this is in case his dominanting behaviour escalates and he does step up a gear and be even more assertive like he was at the vets. It is something that can easily be re-trained and I am sure Danny will be happier knowing his place
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the vets.

With regards to you and your partner, it sounds to me like Danny is getting a tad above himself and he thinks he is higher up in the pack rankings than he ought to be

By getting between you and your partner, even if it is in a 'nice way' like licking you both, he is trying to assert himself and is in effect bossing you about.

In the nicest possible way, I think Danny needs to be brought down a little bit to earth and probably would benefit from a bit of obedience training. I would not allow him to dive between you and your partner even if it is in an endearing way as he is being dominant by doing this - Ozzy used to do it and whenever he did I made him do a down-stay in the room and deliberately cuddle Sid so he knew he wasn't allowed to dominate us.

The only reason I suggest this is in case his dominanting behaviour escalates and he does step up a gear and be even more assertive like he was at the vets. It is something that can easily be re-trained and I am sure Danny will be happier knowing his place
Thanks Ozzysmum OH and I discussed it last night and we both agree he's getting a bit too big for his boots at times. A trained dog is a happy do so we shall just have to keep him in check. He puts on such a soppy face, it's difficult but I know it's important he knows his place.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm glad you are doing this - I hesitated in doing that post as I didn't want you to feel I was "having a go" at you or anything!

Hope your training goes well, please feel free to PM me if you want any help - I am no expert but I would be happy to help if you think I can!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
I'm glad you are doing this - I hesitated in doing that post as I didn't want you to feel I was "having a go" at you or anything!

Hope your training goes well, please feel free to PM me if you want any help - I am no expert but I would be happy to help if you think I can!
Thanks Ozzysmum, I didn't think for one second that you were having a go
It's great to have advice and I really appreciate it xxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by minky
He puts on such a soppy face, it's difficult but I know it's important he knows his place.
aaah the staffie soppy face - how to get yourself out of any situation that may arise - put on the soppy face - no pathetic mam can resist it !!

I know someone who does this exact same face !!! and with the exact same result !!!!.................i am such a pushover .......................

very good advice ozzysmum has given !!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2