Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
sorry joedeeuk i didn mean to cause offence , i was just wondering , educating myself a bit thats all , i can see if its a working dog why its done for injury [ think thats what people have said ]
LOL no offence taken that's why I added the

The purpose of ear cropping was to prevent the ears being torn during fights, bear baiting, hunting of wild animals, and to remove a convenient hand-hold on dogs used to pursue humans.
In Turkey they do not crop their flock guards ears to prevent wolves from using them ho get a hold on the dog, they actually remove the whole ear-these are of course working flock guards not show/pet dogs BTW. I can't see how cropping a dogs ear & marking it stand uo would stop another dog or animal getting hold of the ears. When they raided a local dog fighting circle lots of the dogs had had the whole ear removed surgically the mind boggles !
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
I can't see how cropping a dogs ear & marking it stand uo would stop another dog or animal getting hold of the ears.
The original crop was very close to the head - nothing like the long, tapering show crop.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't like cropped ears at all.

Tails are docked on some dogs to prevent tail injury and I can see the logic of this, especially if they are working in areas like brambles where they could easily badly damage themselves getting caught up etc.

But, all other breeds where this doesn't apply I don't see the purpose in docking and it seems the majority are just to comply with breed standards. I know a lot of people are very strong with their stances on this subject and fair play, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is just one of them.

Yes, Ozzy is docked, was done before we got him as was Brandy. Although I like the look of docked Rotts I also like to see them with tails. I certainly wouldn't be put off buying an undocked Rott.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:28 PM
i dont think there is a right or wrong , its personal preferance at the end of the day but now i understand a bit more one thing the tying of the bands on tails i assume they fall of as no blood gets thrugh does it hurt ??? i would have thought it did if im wrong please correct me
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes they fall off withing a few days, no blood, no cuts, no nothing, exactly the same as Lambs tails.
Dawn.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Not Trying to be Aurgementive, but what gives anyone the right to cut a dogs ears to change the shape ,Just because they perfer the Look.If people perfer a Dog with unright Ears Buy a breed thats ears go naturally up. Im Just so Glad its banned in this country.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:44 PM
good point dawn , i didn think of lambs
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:49 PM
my personal opinion hasn changed but i no more now on the subject so thanks for the info guys n dolls
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
i dont think there is a right or wrong , its personal preferance at the end of the day but now i understand a bit more one thing the tying of the bands on tails i assume they fall of as no blood gets thrugh does it hurt ??? i would have thought it did if im wrong please correct me
The puppies i have seen that have been done never make a murmur & don't seem to be affected at all

Some sheep have this done as well to prevent the poo sticking to their rears & increasing the likelyhood of flystrike

Never seen any puppies docked by having their tails cut BTW
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Amie
Not Trying to be Aurgementive, but what gives anyone the right to cut a dogs ears to change the shape ,Just because they perfer the Look.If people perfer a Dog with unright Ears Buy a breed thats ears go naturally up. Im Just so Glad its banned in this country.
Min pin breeders did just that
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >