View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Gone up £50 in 10 years and we're still watching the same programs as 1994! Definitely a rip off, especially as we have to pay for cable TV as we can't pick up a signal through ordinary TV aerial.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
The problem with the tv licence lies with the goverment,its them who decide how much it should be-the BBC only suggest a figure.

Personally,i think the licence fee should be scrapped and the beeb made to be self sustainable through either or both-advertisments/subscription.I dont really watch BBC channels and could quite happily live without it if it meant saving money,so why should i be expected to pay for something i dont use..?
Yes quite agree Steve - I don't think I would bother with a telly if I didn't have the kids - I am quite happy with the internet to keep me amused I wish we had a choice not to receive BBC because I for one wouldn't watch it - I think there is only one programme on there I like and I could live without it if it meant saving the £126.50 a year
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I find it really unfair that we have to pay for the BBC even if we dont watch it or even want it
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 09:05 AM
You think you have problems!!!!!
In Ireland we pay a TV licence but the two main ("government") TV stations, RTE1 and RTE2, have advertising too - lots of it! (and all radio stations)Yes they buy in programmes from BBC and ITV so we get old stuff as well, but the home produced programmes are pretty good and there are plenty of them. TG4 is independent but being the only Gaelic speaking TV channel, will be watched by many who are happy to put up with the ads - even though many are in English!
The reason we have advertising as well? It keeps the cost of the licence down plus with a relatively small population here, the licence revenue simply isn't enough on its own. I see that ITV drama is often "sponsored" I would guess that they are not getting enough advertising revenue these days with competition from Sky and the like wanting them to spend money advertising with them, and companies DO have limits on what they will spend (apart from Guinness )
Our licence is €152, about £105.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2005, 09:44 AM
No such thing as a TV licence in Australia
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
No such thing as a TV licence in Australia
ROFLMAo thats why the same actors appear in everything from Prisoner Cell Block H to Neighbours & Home & Away

Australia TV has given the world the world highest quality programs like Sons & Daughters, Skippy etc whereas the BBC only manages to produce things like Life on Earth, Bleak House(& other award winning Classic adapattions), comedies like TWTWTW, Ab Fab etc etc etc

I suggest those that critise the BBC try watching some of the other couintries wonderful TV that has to be paid for.

There are of course 4 BBC channels & 7 radio stations + local radio all for the cost of a licence fee !
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
ROFLMAo thats why the same actors appear in everything from Prisoner Cell Block H to Neighbours & Home & Away

Australia TV has given the world the world highest quality programs like Sons & Daughters, Skippy etc whereas the BBC only manages to produce things like Life on Earth, Bleak House(& other award winning Classic adapattions), comedies like TWTWTW, Ab Fab etc etc etc

I suggest those that critise the BBC try watching some of the other couintries wonderful TV that has to be paid for.

There are of course 4 BBC channels & 7 radio stations + local radio all for the cost of a licence fee !

Yes its okay if you watch all that but I personally find it very boring and would rather just be able to tune into ITV and Channel 4
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK

I agree Jodee we often take our wonderful BBC for granted.
During the long war years and throughout the cold war BBC radio was a beacon of hope and purveyor of the truth for so many desperate people. Right up to the present day it has given and still gives innumerable programmes that have no equal worldwide.
I don't begrudge a penny of my licence fee and think it is excellent value, we get a lot for a few pence a day..people pay more than that for a tabloid paper and they really are full of rubbish
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Yes quite agree Steve - I don't think I would bother with a telly if I didn't have the kids - I am quite happy with the internet to keep me amused I wish we had a choice not to receive BBC because I for one wouldn't watch it - I think there is only one programme on there I like and I could live without it if it meant saving the £126.50 a year
Come 2010 Foxy-all analogue tv will be switched off and everything will be digital so they could make all the beeb channels subscription only.

But, the beeb are not in favour of this option because they could not guarantee enough people would subscribe.They are an old institution which desperately needs shaking up.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Yes its okay if you watch all that but I personally find it very boring and would rather just be able to tune into ITV and Channel 4
So you don't watch any BBc or listen to the radio(even in your car)at all ever ?

So all the comedy programs, documentaries, factual, news & sports programs on BBC are boring ? really ? wow you must have very"catholic"taste in TV as whatever is on BBC is also on ITV & Channel 4(including simialr TV drama programs)

Radio programs with adverts do my head in & sports coverage with the intervention at crucial times of spnonsor & other adverts completely turn me off(LOL watched the cricket on the TV with the radio coverage as commentary for example)

Anyway off to watch boring BBC & One Person & Their Dog(something that only channel five have covered apart from the BBC)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >