Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
thats awfull
try and take 1 day at a time and 1 problem at a time, you will feel upset you love ozzy.
i hope thing work out ok for both of you.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
sorry to hear the bad news about Ozzy
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry that the news is not so good At least now that you know the problems you can start dealing with them. Had the x-rays not been done then he may have been in an even worse position before starting treatment. Take heart from Dani's post, and do take advantage of Christine's offer to send you links for helpful supplements.

Chin up and be determined to confound the vet's gloomy prognosis.
Meg
Supervisor

07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Anna Marie as the others say not the best of news but lets look at what you can do rather that what you can't

Keep Ozzys weight down as much as you cay,
Exercise on soft ground when you can to stop stress/ jolting to the joints,
Read everything you can on omega 3 and 6 Essential Fatty Acids, Flax and FBO , Glucosamine and chondroitin, a lot of research has been carried out into these suppliments for humans and dogs.
This is a link I posted before to the The Canine Hydrotherapy Association showing the various facilities around the country.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Many thanks to you all for your help, advice and support. It means so very much.

I will definately learn more about all this including the alternative therapies and medicines, I will do anything to help him.

Christine I would love it if you would PM me and give me the info please, thanks very much.

I guess it is a lot to take in right now, but I will do all I can to help him be more comfortable and pain free. It is the least I can do.

Thanks once again everyone - you are the best
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Anne-Marie
so sorry to read about poor Ozzy, the others have provided some great advice so I can only add that my Springer Zack has Arthritis in his spine and hips, we were using Metacam but have found that since we started using Glucosamine we very rarely need the Metacam, so I can recommend that, he also swims a lot which is great exercise for him.
I'm sure that is a big shock, but I know that once you get over it you can set about dealing with it, and there is always DW here with lots of help and practical advice. Give zzy a big love from us all
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Anne-Marie, I've pm'd you.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 10:57 AM
my OHs family springer has been on metacam for ages no probs here, and its worked wonders for her! big hug and love from china and me

alex
xxx
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi,
Im really sorry to hear about ozzy

I cant really add much more to what has already been said but glucosamine & chroditin (sp) supplements are really meant to help with arthritis & joint problems.
My Amy has been on these for a while now,more as a precaution but it started when she was limping due to her hygroma probs as it was recommended to me & it did help her alot with walking.

sarah
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Huge thanks to everyone. I am overwhelmed by how many people have given such great advice and also sent PMs it is so very kind of you all and so appreciated thanks very much.

Mini I looked up on the site for Hydrotherapy pools and was astonished there was one in Wigton which is about 45mins away - I thought the nearest was Carlisle which is much further on! Many thanks for that, I will have to borrow my Father In Laws car (I have a mini!!!!) and take Oz when he is fit enough - many thanks for that. I have no idea how he will be as he never swims!

I am feeling a bit more positive today, mainly down to you guys. I realize that arthritis can be controlled a lot, the main worry is how his left leg will cope with the right being off the ground, but of course we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I have to say I am very impressed with this new surgery and vet, he even telephoned today to see how Ozzy was which impressed me. No other vets I've been to have ever bothered ringing like that!

He is on his Metacam (not impressed with taking it like!) and hopefully the inflammation will have reduced by next week and fingers crossed they can book him in if they think his left leg can cope. After that I guess it is in the lap of the Gods so to speak.

Many thanks again to you all for your support and just being brill! I am so pleased I have Dogweb, non-doggie people just don't get what the fuss is about!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »