View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

30-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by tuti
So is it better not to worm, and just have a fecal analysis every once in a while instead?

We have no kids or anything, so....
Absolutely

If you have fecal test that comes back negative there is no reason to use a wormer
Surely there must be some danger to using a toxic wormer every 3 mths or so over a life time??
You know even worms need a good enviroment to thrive & a mucousy intestine is ideal

I had a litter of 10 pups just over a yr ago, mum wasn`t wormed, had pups fecal tested, came back negative
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I never worm my dogs, I pick up all their poo, so would see roundworms in their motions or tapeworm segments on their bottom. This is another thing vets have cottoned onto now, and it isnt cheap for a decent sized dog! I am not going to constantly stuff chemicals into my dogs to kill something that isnt there.
Dawn.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 12:42 PM
THanks Christine and Dawn.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
I never worm my dogs, I pick up all their poo, so would see roundworms in their motions or tapeworm segments on their bottom. This is another thing vets have cottoned onto now, and it isnt cheap for a decent sized dog! I am not going to constantly stuff chemicals into my dogs to kill something that isnt there.
Dawn.

Ditto
The only time I wormed Teagan was when I got her
She hasn't been wormed since!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Well I never used to worm my dogs only as puppies, but this year I have taken to worming them every 3 months due to serious intestinal probs. with both of them this particular year. I read a lot about worms and the damage they cause, especially those hookworms I think, and they cause bloody diarrhea (I'm not swearing there!!) and since both my dogs have had this twice already this past year I just thought it best to keep them wormed every 3 months. I must admit I was never for it before though. In horses, it was absolutely imperative that we wormed every 12 weeks, otherwise serious problems could develop, but a horse is eating grass all the time, and my dogs do that a lot too, so in my eyes, if the horses can pick them up like that then so can my dogs.
SusanW
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I worm mine every 3 month's. I use drontal plus, but use panacur till 12 weeks old.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 01:57 PM
When dogs are wormed does it just get rid of any that are there, or does it protect them afterwards?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 04:34 PM
No BrandieSnap, it just kills any that they might have, but it doesn't give them protection against getting any more in the future.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks Helena54!
I guess there is no point then if they don't have worms
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Thanks Helena54!
I guess there is no point then if they don't have worms