View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Could you take his lampshade off whilst he 'practices' going on the ramp?
Maybe when he is a bit more confident, he will use it with his lampshade on!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2005, 07:59 AM
When teaching agility we have a horizontal ladder with fairly wide, flat rungs positioned and supported about a foot off the ground. I find that larger dogs in particular are not confident about placing their back feet. I have the handler and instructor on each side of the dog to support and lure. It may be that Murphy is not sure that his back feet will follow his front ones securely? Try standing with a person on either side of him to give him confidence and lure him across the ramp.

As said, if his vision is limited by the collar that will not help at all. But he will do it - promise

One he is using it flat then increase the angle gradually so that he does not panic about being stuck in space
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Could you take his lampshade off whilst he 'practices' going on the ramp?
Maybe when he is a bit more confident, he will use it with his lampshade on!
That would pretty much mean leaving his lampshade off all day which I cannot do at the moment and I know if I take it off, even for 2 mins, it'll end up in a game of 'chase me' trying to get it back on

The lampshade comes off in about 5 days anyhow
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
When teaching agility we have a horizontal ladder with fairly wide, flat rungs positioned and supported about a foot off the ground. I find that larger dogs in particular are not confident about placing their back feet. I have the handler and instructor on each side of the dog to support and lure. It may be that Murphy is not sure that his back feet will follow his front ones securely? Try standing with a person on either side of him to give him confidence and lure him across the ramp.

As said, if his vision is limited by the collar that will not help at all. But he will do it - promise

One he is using it flat then increase the angle gradually so that he does not panic about being stuck in space
Do you know what SB, I think you've hit the nail on the head here - I was watching Murphy with it last night and you're right, he seems to have no trouble with puting his front paws on it, its the back ones he seems reluctant to do and thats when he tries to jump opver it.

The ramp is flat to the ground at the moment and hubby & I will try what you have mentioned and see if it helps (will try taking the buster collar off too for a short while )
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

29-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Yes, that could be the problem Keep close either side of him so that he feels secure and lure. He will soon find out that his back feet will indeed follow the front ones It is just a matter of building confidence. Lots & lots of praise when he negotiates it.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Delighted to say that I got Murphy & Jesse into the 4x4 using the ramp yesterday and again this morning (all on my own)

LOL, Murphy walked upt he ramp and then sat down looking at me as if to say 'I've done it Mum' - he had such a huge grin on his face and Jesse bless her looked at me as if to say, 'cxome on Mum, get driving) - I think she was a collie in a previous life lol
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2005, 11:50 AM
lol
bless em thats great news, no stopping you all now!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

10-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Good work Murphy
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2