View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2016, 03:54 PM
All dogs can be taught to stop barking, so while some dogs you might want to avoid just because they're known for it (e.g. Shelties, though they are also HUGE shedders and so probably not up your alley anyway), any dog can be worked with to reduce barking.

The real question is how BIG of a dog do you want? You don't specificy.

If you like small, Chihuahuas tend to have prick ears (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "V shaped"). They shed, but they're tiny.

There are also Cairn terriers, though they are somewhat high energy. They are not big shedders. Smart and tenacious though.

The Basenji has also been mentioned as a possibility and I second that one!

Other ones to consider: Manchester Terrier, Miniature Pinscher (aka Min Pin), Toy Fox Terrier, or the Shiba Inu if you want to spend a good amount of time getting a dog some exercise.

Ultimately, I would suggest a rescue dog, but I'm not sure what shelters are like out there. With an adult dog you already know their personality, how barky they are, etc. And they're probably going to be a bit more relaxed than a puppy. An adult rescue is the best way to go, IMO, for a first time dog owner.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2