View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks Leo,she can be very stubborn,at the moment what we tend to do is ignore her for both exercises,it takes a while but she eventually thinks whats going on,on the field she just sits or lays and watches the world go by,the other eve,I left her there run up the side of the house,unlocked back door run down the hall,opened front door she was still lying there,I know we wanted a laid back dog,but!!!,is that what the breeder meant about her newfies can put them in the stay position go to Tesco's and they will still be there when she gets back.My other dog use to love his walk but kept going always straight in (if on the lead) different story if off the lead.He loved the car too,suppose I have to get use to her being so different,and have a lot of patience,good job I dont have to go to work.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2005, 10:41 AM
yep they ard different to most dont see the point then why do it...lol
theres laid back and then theres lazy..........
but it does get better she just needs to learn what is expected.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for that thats what I am hoping,as you say totally different to most dogs I Know and to having owned.Also my other dog was a male,do you think females are very different in temperament and being obstinate.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2005, 10:53 AM
yep
tob is ok mum if i tell him might not like it but will do as hes told. hol will go for gold with max power she can give....she wants she will have or at least try and is alot more stubborn than him as young as she is.
i think the girls mature faster in the brain dept but out of mine even though tob was twice her size at her age he was'nt so head strong as she is.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Read in one of the berner books the females are harder to train and have a very strong will thats why I was going for a boy,but then along came Zanta,not that I would change her now she is great.
Couldn't see anything about the difference in sexes for newfies though,so she must have a berner temperament.Still she is worth all the effort and I have all day to hang around with the dog,beats housework.Wonder if when she is speyed that will make a difference having her done end of this,beginning of next month due to loads of un-neutered males around here and her breeder specifically says no breeding on her receipt.(not that I would want to) don't know enough to go down that road.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2005, 11:05 AM
i dont know if it will change might make her calm down more which can only be a good thing to help with training.
we are going to get hol health checked if she isn't good enough she will be spayed so you can tell me if it changes them.
i know a few leos that have been done and i cant see much difference in them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 11:10 AM
I suppose its how their nature is in the first place,hoping she may calm down though she isn't too bad but does have her moments,but still only a baby,so hard to take in because she is so big though.I will let you know what happens,have you looked into the price of speying,I did before I got her and nearly all the vets quoted £280.00 - £300.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I have trained, and trained with, a few Bernese. In my experience they are the original 'velcro' dogs - sticking close to the handler in all situations. My experience of Newfs is limited.

Training off-lead is good - but the dog must be trained to work both on and off. I would start training on-lead. Start at home with tasty treats. Let her know you have treats. Have her sit to heel. Start off on the foot closest to her with the command 'heel'. If she moves a couple of steps with you, reward, praise and release. Next time get fours steps and reward, praise & release. Build this up gradually at home & then in an area of low distraction. You can use the treats as a lure until you are sure she understands the command. At that point the treats are used on a random basis only as rewards for correct responses.

Once she understands that the command 'heel' means 'move forward with me' she will obey in hopes of a treat. Remember that dogs will repeat behaviours that they find rewarding., unrewarding behaviours will die away.

I don't really know how experienced you are at training, or how much your dog understands. If anything above is unclear please let me know.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Understood that ok,very good advice thanks will give that a go,off lead she is quite good,and when there are no other dogs for distraction,she either plays with them because we know them or she is on lead because we don't know them I do practice with her for a while off lead,I think I will do more roadwork with her and keep her on lead a bit more to see if that helps.Thanks again.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2