register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-06-2015, 08:34 AM
I would say (to me at any rate) it is normal practice to wash the bowls after eating, plus water bowls (in my case buckets).
Would YOU want to eat off the plate you had your lunch off, and your breakfast before that eeeww,thats before we touch on the hygiene aspects.
The very fact you have to disguise kibble before the dog will eat it, and even then it will eat sparingly, speaks volumes actually. Always makes me laugh that vets recommend a dog eat fish or chicken when sick, but goes straight back onto kibble when it recovers, but its not funny really, its shocking
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Ollie and Dillon use to swallow a chicken wing whole but always brought it back up again. Not ideal and worrying so I would either hold it till they got the idea not to be so greedy or bash it with a heavy object first to break it up a bit this seemed to work for me.
Both were fed raw from 8 weeks when coming to love with me.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Can I ask where you buy your meat? Do you get it locally or online?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I used to get my pet mince from my local butcher, but he recently disappeared. In the UK there's a lot of companies online who will deliver, I use a local guy called Clearday Raw Foods, his delivery charge is low and he sells a decent variety, not as much as the larger companies, but they are wanting over double the delivery charge. I also get chicken drumsticks etc, frozen white fish, chicken breast from Iceland. Tinned tuna and sardines from the supermarket, cottage cheese, bio yogurt is good as well. If there is a reduced section have a look to see whats in there. We've also got Pets@Home and Jolleys in UK which have freezer sections. Word to the wise about gravy, stock cubes etc. its got things in that aren't particularly good for dogs,and if you're raw feeding you don't have to dress the food up to get them to eat, you can't stop them. I grate and steam different veggies and mix them up with the food as well to bulk it out for my older girls as they are BIG girls who don't need to get any bigger. They have melon, apples, nectarines, peaches, pears, for afters at tea time, they love their food and its never boring. Imagine being given weetabix or cornflakes every day of your life
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2015, 10:19 AM
I order online as there is nowhere locally to buy at resonable prices.

I mentioned washing bowls because I know a lot of people who feed kibble dont wash the bowls daily..

Yuk I know.. But its a fact. Then when they do the same with raw they wonder why the get flies or smells or why thier dog gets sick DUH!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-06-2015, 01:26 PM
ewwwww some people eh?
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Update!

Bonnie is now 14 weeks and has been raw for the past two. She had her vet-check yesterday and is doing great. I have noticed she is less hyper and thus concentrates better on training lessons - though she still has her moments of madness!

Both Bonnie and my 10 yr old boy Esau are loving their new diet, have sweeter breath and now my husband can't blame the dog for farting, LOL!

Negative effects . . Well, a trial of raw cod fillet resulted in diarrhoea for the puppy (note to self; try canned or mix raw with some minced chicken or turkey); and a chunk of apple to chomp after her breakfast made her sick (though she quickly gobbled back up the raw mince Turkey she'd just had- yuck! - complete with apple and digested it with no ill effects - note to self, try grating it next time).

Esau has had no problems whatsoever, except for one issue; he takes about 10seconds to demolish a chicken wing and Bonnie takes 15minutes, which drives him nuts because I put her in a pen where he can't steal hers!

I'm feeling a lot more confident about creating my own meals for my dogs, though I have ordered some pre-mixed raw/frozen meals from both Nature's Menu and Basil's Dog Food, partly for convenience when we go away in the caravan, partly just to try them out. The all-in-one mixed foods look great, but lack the big bones to crunch up, and having seen my puppy crunching up chicken wings with obvious delight, I think the dogs would miss out if solely fed minced up meat/bone and veg.

Thank you everyone for your help, especially Tawneywolf, and for encouraging me to go beyond the packaged-up diets. I am really enjoying putting meals together, rather than just dumping stuff in a bowl without thinking.

Best of all - no disappointed little faces looking into the bowl, a sniff, followed by turning away . . Now they'd cannot wait to shove their faces in and gobble like mad, leaving bowls licked clean. It's a delight to see and I know everyone who tries raw says this, but how I wish I'd done this year's ago!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-06-2015, 03:51 PM
You're very welcome, I had loads of advice and help when I first flew solo, its very nerve wracking and scary because of all the silly remarks people make.
You may find they go into moult and they shed some skin as well, this is because they will detox now they are eating properly and getting rid of the cr@p thats built up inside them over the years, thats what the 'doggy' smell is, build up of rancid rubbish under the skin.Try an Evening Primrose tablet in their food, also I put an Omega 3 tablet in and a garlic. My girls also have Vit E tablets and B complex and everyone remarks on their coats and general well being
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Esau already has daily Viacutan oil - EFAs - to reduce allergic reaction, so I don't think I'd add anything else unless I notice a problem. They both have nice coats at the moment, no dryness/dandruff.

Esau has been chewing at the underside of one paw, but he was at the groomers on the weekend, sometimes he itches after they've cut the excess hair from between his toes. I can't see any redness or swelling, no signs of trapped dirt in there etc, so I'm just putting a cooling spray on it for now which seems to make him more comfortable, and will see how it goes.

I'll watch out for coat/skin problems - thanks for the heads up! - but as I say, no ill effects so far.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2