View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 12:22 AM
He's huge. Good looking guy. She only seems to be slipping him tiny morsels, so I think it's fine. I saw my mother giving Nigredo entire cookies once! Big no-no! Somehow, same as pit bulls... Mastiffs have slowly gotten larger. I'd never own one, but I'm so glad to be able to see others.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Mouse is growing more handsome by the day. He makes my Georgina look positively TINY!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 10:01 AM
He makes my Nigredo look tiny, and Nigredo is a 40 kg, quite fluffy (making him look bigger), and rather large dude!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
He's huge. Good looking guy. She only seems to be slipping him tiny morsels, so I think it's fine. I saw my mother giving Nigredo entire cookies once! Big no-no! Somehow, same as pit bulls... Mastiffs have slowly gotten larger. I'd never own one, but I'm so glad to be able to see others.
Some are breeding for the size and in truth over feeding way to much.
Mouse is from a line and breeder who is more into a higher energy healthier mastiff.
To many of today are to heavy and the big bone is actually hollow boned, which there could be nothing worse since they have more brittle bones.

Mouse as a overview at his weight is slim and very solid.
Here a pic from Friday that shows a better view of he's shape.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Looks good! Like you said, looks skinnier than most Mastiffs I see but there's no harm in that. Don't see much muscle, but I think that is his age. These huge dogs have poor lifespan and usually are riddled with health problems, so being thinner will certainly help. I only get shelter dogs, so needless to say, they are not bred to any "type". In any case, good work!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 08:39 PM

Heres your huge, soggy mastiff, right? Agree he could stand to lose a few.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2015, 11:46 PM

Heres your huge, soggy mastiff, right? Agree he could stand to lose a few.
OMG yes!
Sadly there killing that dog with that much extra weight.

Mouse's chest will widen a lot between 2 and 2.5yrs and his head will grow a lot. Most likely he will gain about 20% more weight wise, but we do a mile in the morning and 3 miles after work through the week, on weekend we do 5 to 8 miles Sat and Sun in 3 walks, which he comes home and plays with a apbt and a am staff.

The one in the video is like a lot and most likely would not make it 1/2 a mile walking, and would lay all day around the house.

1 in the same line as Mouse is 240lbs and plays all day long with a Lab, another I know of is 265lbs and is super high energy and plays all day with a great dane.

If more people went with tested breeding and worked there dogs, there would be a world of change in the mastiff world. Thankfully there seems to be a lot of breeders who have been working toward the real mastiff and what it should be. Down side is they are still far outnumbered by ones trying to breed whats in the video.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2015, 11:53 PM
Forgot to mention, in 2 weeks Mouse goes in for PennHip testing, because I plan on entering him after he in 2 years old in cart rail pulling. We train twice a week in harness hooked up to rail cart, Empty (No weight added). Also going to look into sled pulling once he is over 2.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2015, 12:18 AM
I think couch potato dogs are fine in some cases. Frankly I'd think that as much mileage as you claim on such a heavy dog would be too much, especially at 16 months. Freddy in the video could stand to lose a bit of weight, sure... but he moves okay (albeit slowly) and he seems a happy enough dog. I also can't say it was the way he was bred, but more likely the way he was FED that has packed on the extra pounds. Clearly such huge dogs shouldn't have that extra weight on their bones, but I guess some people just feed their dogs way too much.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-04-2015, 01:22 AM
I think couch potato dogs are fine in some cases. Frankly I'd think that as much mileage as you claim on such a heavy dog would be too much, especially at 16 months. Freddy in the video could stand to lose a bit of weight, sure... but he moves okay (albeit slowly) and he seems a happy enough dog. I also can't say it was the way he was bred, but more likely the way he was FED that has packed on the extra pounds. Clearly such huge dogs shouldn't have that extra weight on their bones, but I guess some people just feed their dogs way too much.
Mouse same as prior was 5 mins per month old walking wise till 12 months and past that gauged by his reaction.

Basic rule is once you hit the 5 minute mark per month stop and if the dog lays down and flops, it to much.
If he stays up, walks about and drinks your about right.
If he is still high energy, he can go more.
When I say we walk I mean we walk, and he stops for drinks.
When he gets home he still has a good bit of energy <<<it's me who is dropping out and flopping. Why the weekend are 3 walks. That total 5 to 8 miles so at tops he is only walking 2.7 miles short end 1.7 at time.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >