Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jaan Hurditch View Post
Are you talking about the size of the ball itself to suit bigger/smaller hands or of the connection to the leash?
Yep, although also for strength of dog - I mean, would a larger ball be easier to hold on to for a stronger dog?

Also agree with Brenda's comment, in that going for non-toxic materials should be a priority - or laced with a deterrent so dogs won't want to chew.
Jaan Hurditch
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yep, although also for strength of dog - I mean, would a larger ball be easier to hold on to for a stronger dog?

Also agree with Brenda's comment, in that going for non-toxic materials should be a priority - or laced with a deterrent so dogs won't want to chew.
Oh ok - yes I have tried bigger sizes - I printed one about the size of a tennis ball and it was actually a lot harder to hang on to. The smaller size lets you wrap your fingers more fully around which creates a more secure hold. I guess its similar to a golf ball but a few millimeters bigger.

That's a fantastic point about the non-toxic construction - I have selected PLA plastic for all the prototypes as it's corn starch based and biodegradable so better for the environment but it also means our dogs could eat it without complications! I will research what additives I could use to deter them from doing so - maybe some sort of oil peppermint, pine, eucalyptus) could be added to prevent this. It would also make them smell nice! Thanks!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2015, 01:00 AM
The only thing I would wonder is would it work with a woven nylon lead? I use leashes made by Leedz, thick enough to guide a horse as well as a strong doggie. It looks like this ball would only fit flat leashes?
Jaan Hurditch
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-04-2015, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
The only thing I would wonder is would it work with a woven nylon lead? I use leashes made by Leedz, thick enough to guide a horse as well as a strong doggie. It looks like this ball would only fit flat leashes?
I had a look at the Leedz site and they look like nice leashes!

At the moment I have designed one Leash Mate to suit flat webbing style leashes up to and a bit wider than 1 inch and also another to suit round rope style like the Leedz leash (They both share the same top cap). Currently it has a 15mm opening (the leedz 5/8 inch offering is 15.8mm) but I have fit a super thick 18 mm leash I got for testing into it. Maybe i should increase the size to 16 mm to be sure though...?

Are many others running super thick leads like this?

Thanks for the heads up!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jaan Hurditch View Post
I had a look at the Leedz site and they look like nice leashes!

At the moment I have designed one Leash Mate to suit flat webbing style leashes up to and a bit wider than 1 inch and also another to suit round rope style like the Leedz leash (They both share the same top cap). Currently it has a 15mm opening (the leedz 5/8 inch offering is 15.8mm) but I have fit a super thick 18 mm leash I got for testing into it. Maybe i should increase the size to 16 mm to be sure though...?

Are many others running super thick leads like this?

Thanks for the heads up!
There is a few. I'm a Mastiff owner, and I'll have to look to see who makes Mouse's leash but both are flat and around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 in wide double thickness. The clips have a 300lb rating.
He has broken one prior with a 175lb rating.

But truthfully Giant breed owners may not be the best market, since most who walk them are big on training, a lot do to a firmer hold on the leash is not going to help you with them.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2015, 12:58 AM
And those of us with uber strong pullers come up with our own ways of holding the leash from moment to moment.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2015, 05:06 AM
Nice idea and well done . However the hardest part and most expensive is marketing it and having a world wide patent to protect your product.

No doubt you have already considered production costs and quantities needed
before the break even point. So many good ideas fall down because this has not been thought through properly.

I wish you well with the idea but do keep an eye on your costings.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2015, 06:05 AM
Reading one of the postings above there would be a worry if the dog got it and it caused the dog to choke if it got stuck. So making it smell nice of maybe peppermint wouldn't be a good idea.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2015, 07:01 AM
I use a thick leash for my 90+ lb Nigredo. The other leash is thicker than a normal leash, but I think it would still work..

Think it's a good idea, but I personally would have no true use for it. Good luck!!

Edited to say that the green leash on my Bunny is TOO wide after re-reading your measurements.
Jaan Hurditch
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Reading one of the postings above there would be a worry if the dog got it and it caused the dog to choke if it got stuck. So making it smell nice of maybe peppermint wouldn't be a good idea.
The idea of making it smell (and taste) would be to prevent dogs from chewing it but definitely I would have to make sure this had the desired effect! Peppermint smells nice but I can't imagine eating it! Would need to look into this further though. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I use a thick leash for my 90+ lb Nigredo. The other leash is thicker than a normal leash, but I think it would still work..

Think it's a good idea, but I personally would have no true use for it. Good luck!!

Edited to say that the green leash on my Bunny is TOO wide after re-reading your measurements.
Can I ask what size the green flat leash is?
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »