View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Regarding fixes. I'm no expert, but when I was afraid a neighbor's dog had gotten in when one of my girls was on her first season my (very practical) vet told me that there were two chemical options for aborting. One was just a large dose of hormones within a short time (I think she said 8 days but don't quote me) of the suspected mating. The other was more expensive but worked up until something like 40 days . . . in any case, long enough that it would be possible to confirm pregnancy. I chose to wait and see. It turned out that my girl wasn't preggers. I don't like abortions and would prefer not to mess around with hormones (though spaying is messing with hormones on a massive scale), but if you have done your best and containment fails, it seems like a better option than an unplanned/unwanted litter. And if you choose to go through the first season with a boy around, you should know that there is a plan B if plan A fails.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2015, 06:41 PM
It's not inevitable they will mate, I have 2 entire females and an entire male of the same breed and have managed to prevent any mating at all. It's not half as difficult as people might have you believe. My bitches wear pants when in season and the male wears a belly band, I don't rely on them to prevent anything but they would certainly slow down any potential mating. I let them out to toilet together too, just keep a very close eye on them and have the hose in my hand should a swift squirt be necessary.
I would only spay / neuter if I wanted to and certainly not before they were fully mature. I gave consideration to the superlorin implant but don't think it's necessary in our case. Obviously I seperate them when I go out or if I can't watch them for any reason.
The injection referrred to above to terminate the pregnancy up to 45 days is an alizin jab preferably done around the 20 day mark.
Little Monkeys
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi,

What did you decide to do? I'm having the same dilemma myself. My pup is nearly 5 months old ad I'm torn about her being spayed before or after her first season. This doesn't seem to be a subject where people sit on the fence, whichever way people believe is right, they seem very passionate about. That's great, but makes it harder for those of us who just don't know what to do.

I have 2 6 year old dogs, both done at 6 months and I am unsure if Jazz being in season would create a nightmare at home. Hmmmmmmm what to do, what to do...
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Little Monkeys View Post
Hi,

What did you decide to do? I'm having the same dilemma myself. My pup is nearly 5 months old ad I'm torn about her being spayed before or after her first season. This doesn't seem to be a subject where people sit on the fence, whichever way people believe is right, they seem very passionate about. That's great, but makes it harder for those of us who just don't know what to do.

I have 2 6 year old dogs, both done at 6 months and I am unsure if Jazz being in season would create a nightmare at home. Hmmmmmmm what to do, what to do...
My TT pup is just 12 weeks old at the moment, but I think I have already decided about this - she will be spayed at 6-7 months, before her first season.

The major issue I was concerned about was the link between spaying before the first season, and urinary incontinence - but my vets tell me the latest research has failed to find any such link.

By 6 months she should be fully grown so I shouldn't notice any issues with joint problems or 'long legs'. She'll have the advantage of added protection against mammary cancer (significantly greater if spayed before a first season), but most importantly - no risk of her getting pregnant.

Not only is my PON boy entire, but my garden is next to a walker's right-of-way; dogs are constantly being walked past the house and it's impossible to make the garden secure - dogs often wander in to the garden, even into the house if the door is open! The risk is simply too great.

She also has an umbilical hernia - a little bulge where her belly-button is. It's entirely cosmetic, but I'd like it 'tidied up' which means surgery; she'll recover faster from that the younger she is, so it makes sense to have it done at the same time as the spay.

I hope you can make your decision soon; nobody can make it for you, you just have to go with what's right for your own personal situation. Listen to all the advice and views, of course, but ultimately, it's YOUR decision.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 07:37 AM
I used delvosterone for my bitch to put off seasons so that may help with any decisions you may need to think about. It worked well for my collie.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-06-2015, 07:57 AM
I've heard that this can affect future fertility, and also the strong possibility of mammary tumours, from so many different sources, that I decided a long time ago that it wasn't worth risking.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 08:45 AM
My Collie was on it for years and never had problems. I should think it depends on the dogs makeup. All I can say is her coat was wonderful.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2