View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Personally at that age I wouldn't put him through surgery that has no high guarantee of success. Enjoy the time you have left and let him go too soon rather than too late.
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2013, 08:22 AM
it is a very hard decision and its killing me but I don't want him to be in pain. I an definitely considering what's best for him and he is my top priority. Thanks for your response everyone has been so helpful.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Sharon - I cannot add any more to what has been said by everyone else - just know that we will be with you whatever you decide. (((hugs)))
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you for thinking of us. It has helped me alot to join this forum. Everyone has helped so much. I will post late after I talk with his vet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Just to express my sympathy at the dilemma you find yourself in with your much loved dog.

I would hate to be in your shoes but I think at that good old age I would come down on the side of allowing them to live out whatever they have left but not let them suffer for one second longer than necessary if they worsen. Far better a week too soon than a day too late.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2013, 11:37 AM
No surgery can be guaranteed so all we can do is get as much information as we can and the op is doing that.

These days with the modern aenesthetics the age of the dog is not as important as it was. My foster girl is 10 plus, had mammary strip a few weeks ago she ru s everywhere. I used to have a dog that was operated on aged 15, I did 't get a choice if the vet Didn't operate she would of suffocated.

Every dog, every operation has to be taken on merit
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Whilst I agree with you Matte to a certain extent, when the big "C" is involved with the complications that only the VET knows can happen during an operation, and he has already told the o/p that he doesn't expect it to be a success, then you really have to think of the alternative options.

I had a dog of 13 operated on for pyo, but we went ahead with that, irrespective of age, because we had to give the dog a chance knowing that it was a relatively simple hysterectomy apart from it being infected. However, when it came to my 10 year old dog with the cancer on her back, that was a whole different ball game when a vet turns around to me and tells me he doesn't think he could do it, or the fact that it probably wouldn't be a success, just as this poor o/p has been told. Even if she had of been 5 years old at that time, I doubt we would have gone ahead after listening to the vet. As it happened, we enjoyed 3 very special weeks with her after the vet visit so we know we made the right decision.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 02:07 PM
so sorry to hear this you must be absolutely devastated. Thinking of you.
Big big hugs xxx
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Whilst I agree with you Matte to a certain extent, when the big "C" is involved with the complications that only the VET knows can happen during an operation, and he has already told the o/p that he doesn't expect it to be a success, then you really have to think of the alternative options.

I had a dog of 13 operated on for pyo, but we went ahead with that, irrespective of age, because we had to give the dog a chance knowing that it was a relatively simple hysterectomy apart from it being infected. However, when it came to my 10 year old dog with the cancer on her back, that was a whole different ball game when a vet turns around to me and tells me he doesn't think he could do it, or the fact that it probably wouldn't be a success, just as this poor o/p has been told. Even if she had of been 5 years old at that time, I doubt we would have gone ahead after listening to the vet. As it happened, we enjoyed 3 very special weeks with her after the vet visit so we know we made the right decision.
It is heart breaking when something like this happens and I am sorry you had to go through this but you did take each dog as individuals, looked into it before making your decision, that is all anyone can do.

Vets like doctors have to give the worst, I always ask them if it was there dog what would they do? I find I get a lot of information from the vet by their reply. Most won't say but give more information on the operation.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 05:34 PM
My heart goes out to you - this is the downside of having dogs that all of us dread, and all I can say is that on this forum you will have support every step of the way, whatever you decide.

You have already had some good advice and sympathy........I will just add some massive cuddles for both you and and your little dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >