View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Mollie was a private rescue, her rather annoyed breeder had an accidental mating, her beautiful retriever girl was "got at" by the local scally collie from the farm next door.

They were going to PTS the entire litter but a friend knew we were thinking of adding to the family so put us in touch.

We took all the pups that day and managed to find homes for all but Mollie who had taken such a liking to my husband it would have been cruel to separate them.

Betty came from a lovely breeder who we wouldn't hesitate to use again.
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Last November I moved down to Cornwall to look after my Mum who has Dementia. I had already decided that I would get a dog. Firstly for me to get me out and about and get a bit fitter and also for my Mum as it is good for elderly people to have a pet to interact with.
I was sure that I wanted a rescue dog so I could help a poor sad dog out and give it a good home.
I decided that I would wait until the New Year as I figured that there would be a glut of poor puppies that the shine had worn off and were now unwanted. I wanted a Springer Spaniel, as I looked after a friends for 7 months while he worked abroad and Bealesy was a brilliant dog.
So at the start of January I started checking out the local rescue sites. I couldn't see to many Springers but I rang a couple of places to see if there were any coming in.
I explained what I was looking for and why. One not too far from me said they didn't have a Springer but that they did have a lovely Lurcher called Jessie who they thought would be ideal for us and that they had put a video of her up on Youtube. I took a look at it and for sure she seemed like a lovely girl with a nice temperament. I did a bit of research on Lurchers online since I had only ever met one and he was a working dog that belonged to a very dodgy mate of mine from years back. So anyway after my bit of research I found that my assumptions about Lurchers were pretty much off the mark and so arranged to go and see her the next day with Mum.
She was brought down to meet us and arrived very calmy before jumping up to give me tons of licks and kisses. Then she met Mum for more of the same. Took her out for a walk for about half an hour and was already in love with her by the time we got back. After a good long chat with the staff and owner of the rescue centre they said that it was obvious that she was going to get a very good home and a lot of love. So after buying all the bits and bobs she needed to begin with and making our donation, she came home with us that day. She rode beautifully in the car and when she got home she had a little explore arounf downstairs and after an hour she was spark out asleep on her bed. So a happy girl from the get go.

This her after being home for just an hour.

She has been the best girl ever and so good with all the carers and everyone that comes to visit Mum.

As you can see here she is a very happy girl.

A few months later I was looking though a Lurcher forum I am on and there was a message saying that another girl Lurcher needed rehoming urgently due to an alleged incident with a Lamb. It was never proven that it was her but the farmer had decided it was and told the owners who are also farmers that either they get her put down or he would shoot her.
So i got in touch with them and we arrange to meet the following day in a park local to me to see how the two girls got along. Well all was well there and so we arranged for Lexi to come and stay with us for a week to see if they could get along over a period of time at home. I am happy to say she's still here with us.
I was looking for a companion for Jess and again was looking for a Springer and again took another Lurcher.

This is Lexi.

Jess and Lexi together.

I like to think they have a good life here with us. They're both very loved and get to out and about all over the place with me. Up Kit Hill, to the beach, nature reserves, woodland walks.

Bit of a long post but you did ask.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Well that's lovely too Julie - I am really glad this thread was started - all these heartwarming stories - lovely!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Like Bella,Lacey was bought from a pet shop.We were on are way home from holidays and called into a pet shop about 30 miles from our home to pick up "fish food".
Noticed 2 Shih Tzu puppies,of course my daughter and I just had to have a cuddle...was a long cuddle almost 10 years old now
She has an Irish Kennel Club Registration Certificate and Pedigree,both of which I have never researched and tbh at this stage it's not important....she's the best decision we have ever made( excluding the kids of course)has brought so much joy into our home and I wouldn't change a single thing about her.She's happy,loved and spoilt to within an inch of her life,that's good enough for me!!
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm loving this thread
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Like Bella,Lacey was bought from a pet shop.We were on are way home from holidays and called into a pet shop about 30 miles from our home to pick up "fish food".
Noticed 2 Shih Tzu puppies,of course my daughter and I just had to have a cuddle...was a long cuddle almost 10 years old now
She has an Irish Kennel Club Registration Certificate and Pedigree,both of which I have never researched and tbh at this stage it's not important....she's the best decision we have ever made( excluding the kids of course)has brought so much joy into our home and I wouldn't change a single thing about her.She's happy,loved and spoilt to within an inch of her life,that's good enough for me!!
Lovely! My Bella's health record book states she is a Mini Doberman' lol! No such breed!
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:54 AM
What lovely stories there are xx
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by cacoll View Post
I'm loving this thread
Me too
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Lovely! My Bella's health record book states she is a Mini Doberman' lol! No such breed!
Well she's one in a million Pat Puts a smile on my face every time xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Well she's one in a million Pat Puts a smile on my face every time xx
I'll put up the pic I just took in the daily thread for you in a mo - she looks quite pathetic.

Wouldn't mind but, it was a VET who wrote that breed name in!

I am loving this thread - so here it comes up to the top again!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >